[NL2-NL10] nl10SH KJ

• gummybeared
      gummybeared
      Bronze
      Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (BB) ($10)
      UTG ($13.11)
      MP ($12.11)
      Button ($10.24)
      SB ($20.06)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, K
      2 folds, Button calls $0.10, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.30) J, 8, Q (3 players)
      SB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, Button calls $0.30

Turn: ($1.20) J (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1, Button raises to $2, 1 fold, Hero calls $1

River: ($5.20) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button bets $5.20, Hero folds

Total pot: $5.20 | Rake: $0.34

BTN 17/7/3 over 500 hands
      open limping from btn is 7%

Do I beat anything?
  • 2 replies
    • rickydaprince
      rickydaprince
      Bronze
      You could raise preflop but checking is ok too. As played, playing check/fold is fine on the river because it is an unraised pot and I like to play for small pots... and the board is very drawy. You could consider making a small block bet on the river and folding to reraise... but I'm not sure if any worse hands would actually raise on the turn and call you.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

If you don't feel comfortable raising that out of position preflop it's ok to just play postflop, but it's very likely you couldpickup the pot right there very often by raising the two limpers.

His line looks very much like a flush, maybe T9 if somehow he didn't get the memo on protecting against flushdraws which is quite possible. Another Jx is possible but given how tight he is i don't know if i really see him overcalling the flop with that, he has to figure somebody has at least a Q once SB bet pot and you called.

I don't think you can do anything but call his minraise on the turn with immediate drawing odds, hoping you boat up on the river and stack him. I don't often see people minraising the turn and checking behind the river, so i think c/r the river if you hit is ok. If you're afraid he would check behind for some reason, i don't think donking into him will make him fold anything either, but he might just call instead of shoving over.

Since you missed, you can either blockbet/fold or check/fold that river. Since the flush is more likely and you might even be calling for a split or against a better Jx given how tight his preflop stats are, i'd settle for the check/fold. He bet pot into you, i wouldn't mess with him at that point. Bad players just don't realize they should inflate the pot more on early streets with their goods hands, so when they end up with a small pot on the river they just try and make up for it by betting huge.

Hope it helps.