[NL2-NL10] AKs All In Postflop

• michaelqian
      Hi all

I think I played this hand correctly, but please point out of I should have done anything different.

Sorry for posting results, but I think this is a very bad beat. Think I was on tilt afterwards, misread my hand and lost a little more money, so promptly stopped playing.

This was right after I won a $3 pot with AA, bad swing of luck.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K, A.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, MP3 folds, CO raises to $0.14, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.31) K, 4, 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.31, CO raises to $0.62, Hero raises to $3.57(All-In), CO calls $1.89.

Turn: ($6.39) 6 (2 players)

River: ($6.39) 3 (2 players)

Final Pot: $6.39.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of kings (K A)
      CO shows a straight, six high (5 5)
      CO wins with a straight, six high (5 5).
  • 4 replies
    • rickydaprince
      Hello. Lol, unlucky!

You should 3bet preflop around 3.5x his raise. If he still calls, the flop is pretty dry and good board for you. I wouldn't really bet pot unless you always do it. 1/2 to 2/3 pot is enough for 3bet pot. If he raises, just 3bet normally instead of shoving yourself.... and call his shove.
    • michaelqian
      Ah yes of course... don't know why I didn't re-raise him preflop, I normally always do that, but have on a few occasions folded AK to a shove.

Postflop I felt that he wasn't going to fold very easily, so rather than calling and giving him a turn card, I'll shove myself and hopefully take the pot there, as I thought it was very likely I had the best hand.

But seriously, calling my shove with pocket 5s? Then getting lucky on both the turn and river!!!
    • maya1984
      pf: 4bet this min 3bet. You really want to be the pre-flop aggressor with AK since you only hit the flop 1 out of 3 times and when you miss the flop most of the times you will have to c/f. In this case it's even more important since you are OOP.

flop: it's a dry board, unless he is very passive (which I doubt since he 3bet pf) he is going to c-bet very often with any PP,Ax hands so it's good spot to c/r if want to bet yourself on the flop.
      You can also just c/c this flop and make a move on the turn since the board is dry and you shouldn't be concerned much about anther card coming up. but then again if you think he is going to check behind the turn c/r flop is definitely a good line which will help us building the pot.

As played: so you donk into him,he min-raise, you 3bet all in.
      When you 3bet most of the times you will only get worser hands to fold. it will be hard for him to call with a small PP (even though he did a mistake and call) Ax, hands. Only hands that you beat that might call are 99-QQ,KJ+. So you can call his minraise and let him bet again on the turn. It would be hard for him to get away on the turn as opposed to getting away on the flop.

This is indeed a bad beat since had only 3 outs, but don't let it affect you. you will win around 88% of the times in a situation like this.
      Due take in mind my comments regarding your flop play.
      Good Luck!
    • michaelqian
      thanks for the comment. I was probably over aggressive on the flop.