Tilting - How to avoid making wrong decisions?

• wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      Hi there,

Instead off al the hands discussions i want to talk abouth another aspect of Poker. And i think that its something that we all struggle with as beginners. Im talking abouth Tilting here.

I have been playing for like 4 months now and i can really take badbeats and downswings. They are just part of the game and i have peace with that. But i discovered that sometimes wenn i for instance fold a hand wich i would have won in the end. I go on tilt. And there comes to biggest error that i make all the time. Wenn i am in this state. I cant fold a hand even wenn i know i should!

Let me show u an example:

PartyPoker 0.25/0.50 Limit Hold'em [color:#0000FF](9 handed)[/color] Recorded and converted with HandRecorder

Preflop: Hero is SB with J:heart: , A:heart:
      UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, [color:#666666]1 folds[/color], MP3 calls, [color:#666666]2 folds[/color], [color:#FF0000]Hero raises[/color], [color:#666666]1 folds[/color], UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10.00 SB) 6:heart: , 9:spade: , A:spade: [color:#0000FF](5 players)[/color]
      [color:#FF0000]Hero bets[/color], [color:#FF0000]UTG+1 raises[/color], [color:#FF0000]UTG+2 3-bets[/color], MP1 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Seeing that im the pre-flop raiser i bet. Get raised. And someone 3bets it to me! This is in almost 90% off the time a clear fold. Why on earth did i called this al true the river while i know im beat? Why am i giving away my money to them? Well the thing is...this had something to do with a hand earlyer and ill try to describe it below.

Preflop: Me @ Late Position with QQ
      UTG raise. MP call. Hero 3-bet. UTG caps. MP calls.

Flop: 267
      UTG bets. I raise. He caps. I called and folded the turn unimproved.

UTG wins the hand with Ace High (AKo)

Tthis was a good fold from my side because i figured he had a bigger pocket pair then mine. And i could not have known he has AK. Witch he played bad.

This little hand here caused me to tilt a bit. Witch resolved in calling down that AJ hand witch was a CLEAR FOLD on the flop.

Now the thing is that im really sure if i can solve this problem i can climb up those limits alot faster. So my question to you guys is. Do u also have these kind off problems? Handling in a way that u KNOW is the wrong way? But u still do it? How can i train myself to not do that ever again? Maybe some books i could read? Maybe an article that explains there things more in-depth?
  • 11 replies
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      And this aint just with Poker. Sometimes in real-life i handle in a way i know is wrong but still do it? Why??? Where dos this come from??
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Most of the times I play good solid poker and also win e few bucks an hour. My problem is, when I don´t compilte my draws, my aces get beaten by K8 and if I have KK- A4 will beat me on the river, then I have lost a little money and probably then I go on tilt. My solution is that I don´t play that day any longer. I win that money back on the next day or day after. My suggestion is to be calm when you play, don´t get nervous ( I always laugh when someone like K8 called preflop raise:) ) and if you have a little luck you eventually got back your lost money
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      I always laugh my ass off wenn someone suck-outs against me. But the thing is that i folded this hand that im supposed to win. And then there comes the danger of getting into a "call-down mode" even wenn im sure that im beat.
    • Cawo
      Cawo
      Bronze
      I aggree with you. Sometimes I do Cold call to much.
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Do you still have the QQ hand somewhere. Because i don't think it is such a clear fold? there are so many rare situations where i would fold my overpair heads-up. Actually i can't think of one ;)

But comin back to the topic, it is always interesting how past plays influence your game. But remember it is also the other way round. Your past plays will influence the game of your opponents.
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      No Stefan i aint got the hand anymore.

But the thing is it Pre-flop i 3bet his raise and he caps. So we both have a cap hand. On the flop he donks early position. I raise. And he 3-bets me. So i put him on AA/KK and fold the turn unimproved. I guess that a fold is out of the question here? I just had to calldown this one then?

Actually i have this hand. Its the second on(#2) in this thread

http://www.pokerstrategy.org.uk/wbb_en/thread.php?threadid=5722
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      I will write something about this hand later at the thread. It is not a clear fold by the way neither is it a clear calldown but more about that later.
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      But what i wanted to say was: a very good book about the psychological aspects of poker is berry greenstein's "Ace on the river".
    • Ulek
      Ulek
      Black
      Its a good thing if you are able to realize that you are in such a state. The next step is to quit playing, get some fresh air and walk around the block (or whatever gets you calm again). If making mistakes causes you to make more mistake, you are in a vicious circle that you have to leave. Eventually you will get more experienced and tilt less. Until then, just stop when you have to.
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      Could u check out that QQ hand in the hands discussion forum stefan?
    • matti2k
      matti2k
      Bronze
      I think everyone has this problem once in a while. Lost a lot of money yesterday on quite a similar way. I was holding KK on 0.10/0.25. Some guy raised it to 1.50 and then I made it 3.25. He decided to go allin as he was rather smallstacked + he was a loose player. So it came to a showdown. It appeared that he was holding A4... and guess what came on the river. The hands after that I tilted a little what made me even lose more money.