want to start playing mtt

• raun
      raun
      Bronze
      so i am considering to start playing mtt's. what i am wondering is: what articles are "must-read's" for a mtt player or should i just read them all?

do i need anything to start playing mtt's? any specific software?
      atm i only use pt3
  • 13 replies
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      PT3 is good enough , I don't think you need software as long as you don't open like 6+ tourneys.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/1392/ -> M factor is the nutz.
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      okay thanks a million
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Silver
      I use PT3 but it is only any use if you are not switching tables all the time.
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Post hands and with tournaments, practice makes better. Play satellites, 180 mans and every shit you can play out there. Only that way you will get good. 16+ hour days constantly 6-12 tablings is a must.
    • Agiz19
      Agiz19
      Bronze
      play good poker and never wanna give up no matter how muh is leftin your stack :f_cool:
    • stiansk
      stiansk
      Bronze
      just survive.

In very short time between each otehr i finished 6th in a tourney with 4k men in,
      and 3th in one with 2700 in.
      Just keep a decent stack through the game, and try to chace down the fishes.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      I found good tournaments to practice MTT play on, once you have the basic knowledge, are the $3 rebuy satellites to the Sunday 300k on Party Poker.

I set aside $100 for the purpose, and the initial entry, 1 rebuy and 1 addon, which is usually enough, costs $7.8, giving you enough funds to play a dozen or so.

There is one particular tourney I played, a 9 seat guarantee, which usually has between 180 and 220 entrants. Prize is a ticket worth $215 to the event.

The good thing about this is you don't have to use the ticket. Unregister from the tourney, and then keep playing future rebuys. Often, there are as many as 11 or 12 guaranteed seats, depending on rebuys and addons. The good thing about this being, each one is worth $215.

When you have your first ticket, you can keep playing future qualifiers, and everytime you go deep in one, register for the main event using the existing ticket. If you win another entry while already registered for the main event, the $215 is credited as cash to your account. Yum. Just don't forget to unregister before the main event starts, keeping the ticket in your account.

Got a lot of MTT experience this way, and won 6 tickets in total, of which 4 were cash in my account. I certainly didn't spend $300 in entry fees in total either.

So I found this to be an entertaining, and rewarding, way to gain experience. Because each guaranteed prize is the same value, $215, the potential earnings while gaining the experience are huge.
    • danwong
      danwong
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aciddrop
      I found good tournaments to practice MTT play on, once you have the basic knowledge, are the $3 rebuy satellites to the Sunday 300k on Party Poker.

I set aside $100 for the purpose, and the initial entry, 1 rebuy and 1 addon, which is usually enough, costs $7.8, giving you enough funds to play a dozen or so.

There is one particular tourney I played, a 9 seat guarantee, which usually has between 180 and 220 entrants. Prize is a ticket worth $215 to the event.

The good thing about this is you don't have to use the ticket. Unregister from the tourney, and then keep playing future rebuys. Often, there are as many as 11 or 12 guaranteed seats, depending on rebuys and addons. The good thing about this being, each one is worth $215.

When you have your first ticket, you can keep playing future qualifiers, and everytime you go deep in one, register for the main event using the existing ticket. If you win another entry while already registered for the main event, the $215 is credited as cash to your account. Yum. Just don't forget to unregister before the main event starts, keeping the ticket in your account.

Got a lot of MTT experience this way, and won 6 tickets in total, of which 4 were cash in my account. I certainly didn't spend $300 in entry fees in total either.

So I found this to be an entertaining, and rewarding, way to gain experience. Because each guaranteed prize is the same value, $215, the potential earnings while gaining the experience are huge.
      I second this post, I've ran deep in 2 out of 5 of these things on ftp and as long as you're prudent with the rebuys and add ons you can get a reasonable profit.
    • stiansk
      stiansk
      Bronze
      whats the buy in on the one where you win a ticket?
    • danwong
      danwong
      Bronze
      For me it was a satellite to ftops 7. which is $4 +.40 and only about 30-40 runners and after the first break its down to 2/3 tables, then it seems to be push or fold mode for some players. Normally gets top 3 get a ticket to $100+9 and 4th gets something like $30 - $50

Although there are many different ones you can take part in.

I won the first one I ever entered and have started using those tourney dollars as my tourney roll. its sitting at about $170 right now tho.

edit: By the way, could anyone tell me would this method count in the $1mil in 1 year thread?
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Originally posted by stiansk
      whats the buy in on the one where you win a ticket?
      These rebuys are $3, plus 2.40 per rebuy and add on. I found that $7.8 is usually enough to get me to the first break, with an average stack, or maybe just below or above, with 40% of the field gone. Sometimes you get lucky, and have a very large stack.

The value in them is that each winner receives the same money, a ticket to the value of $215, or, if you already are registered in the tournament, $215.

This 9 seat guarantee is a regular daily tourney, so is a good one to look at.
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      The only way to get in the good money in mtt is to play 6+ mtt at once using HEM or PT and never give up after the shit bad beats later in deep stages.
    • qcjunior
      qcjunior
      Bronze
      Originally posted by raun
      so i am considering to start playing mtt's. what i am wondering is: what articles are "must-read's" for a mtt player or should i just read them all?

do i need anything to start playing mtt's? any specific software?
      atm i only use pt3

Hi Raun, I haven't won a sunday major yet,but I do see the light at the end of the tunnel.After 1yr,3mths of playing poker on line and less than one yr at PS.com, largely in part to the PS sit and go, and mtt material, a sunday major within my second year goals is not unrealistic.
      there are many different stages to mtt's,playing good poker in all of these stages is essential to cashing in a mtt.Do you grind your ICM trainer, are you at 95% yet?.Read all material offered by poker strategy, and as many mtt videos as well.Phil Gordon's little green /blue books are good reads.
      HEM and PT3 :s_thumbsup:

I will never surrender,I will defend this island with bullets.