SSS isn't working for me..

• unlogik112
      unlogik112
      Bronze
      Basically i've lost the original $50 on partypoker. I deposited another $150 on full tilt, played the short stack strategy and im down to about $120.. Im not doing anything wrong as far as im aware, following the strategy, and its NOT working!
  • 13 replies
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      What are your stats? VPIP/PFR/3Bet/Steal/Contibet etc...
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      it's very possible that your doing everything correct, but your just being unlucky :)

nothing you can do but to get luckier or quit
    • unlogik112
      unlogik112
      Bronze

Sorry Ive got $120 left on full tilt, typo..
    • unlogik112
      unlogik112
      Bronze
      well I do call pocket pairs above 55 hoping to hit a set, however I always fold them if i dont hit any. ive made more money than ive lost doing that..
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      u limp too much and u raise too little
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      your PFR is way too low in my opinion :f_eek:

it needs to be between 6 and 12 .. best is somewhere around 10! same with VPIP!

if you dont raise your good hands preflop you get into more difficulties after the flop!

try follow the basic chart, its designed that you are ahead most of the time! :f_cool:
    • unlogik112
      unlogik112
      Bronze
      By raising too little do u mean nit raising high enough or often enough? The limping might be caused by me calling when im on the small blind with average hands like J10 or something
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Hello mate some things to think about.

You dont raise often enough and limp too much
      You are too passive on the flop
      You do not 3 bet often enough
      You do not steel enough blinds

If you need help with these just ask
    • unlogik112
      unlogik112
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac
      Hello mate some things to think about.

You dont raise often enough and limp too much
      You are too passive on the flop
      You do not 3 bet often enough
      You do not steel enough blinds

If you need help with these just ask
      hi, a 3 bet is a re-raise right?
    • BogdanDin7
      BogdanDin7
      Bronze
      Yes a 3-bet is a reraise. You should definitely raise and 3-bet more. I don`t think you can follow the starting hand chart and get a 12/3 vpip/pfr. Try rereading the articles and keep a chart copy somewhere close so you can check it at first until it becomes clearer. NL10 should be easy just by that.
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Yeah you're definately not following the articles closely enough, as you either have a very low sample size (in which case you've been VERY unlucky), or you have a decent sample size and you just aren't playing correctly.

If you are following the charts you should be raising much more often than you are, you should also be 3Betting more often (as about half the raising hands are also 3Bet hands), and you shouldn't limp at all with your limited experience, so your VPIP should equal your PFR (you can limp with some more experience, but if the strategy isn't working for you, you should start simple).

Also you are folding to 3Bet 70% of the time, which to me says you are raising with hands not in the charts, since about 50% of the hands you are raising with you should be calling a 3Bet with (TT+, AK).

It is normal to lose up to 15 buyins in a session on a bad day, so it could just be you had bad luck in one session (if those stats are for like, 2k hands or so), but if your stats are for anything nearing 10k hands, you're definately doing something wrong.
    • unlogik112
      unlogik112
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xponentx
      Yeah you're definately not following the articles closely enough, as you either have a very low sample size (in which case you've been VERY unlucky), or you have a decent sample size and you just aren't playing correctly.

If you are following the charts you should be raising much more often than you are, you should also be 3Betting more often (as about half the raising hands are also 3Bet hands), and you shouldn't limp at all with your limited experience, so your VPIP should equal your PFR (you can limp with some more experience, but if the strategy isn't working for you, you should start simple).

Also you are folding to 3Bet 70% of the time, which to me says you are raising with hands not in the charts, since about 50% of the hands you are raising with you should be calling a 3Bet with (TT+, AK).

It is normal to lose up to 15 buyins in a session on a bad day, so it could just be you had bad luck in one session (if those stats are for like, 2k hands or so), but if your stats are for anything nearing 10k hands, you're definately doing something wrong.
      ehm those stats were for about 3k hands. thanks for the advice. ill try sticking to the starting hands chart more closely and see how it goes :)
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello unlogik112,

It seems like you aren't playing 'SSS' at the moment - but simply playing with a short stack. There is a huge difference between the two. Limp calling with pocket pairs for example is very -EV unless you actually have a 100 BB stack. With 20 BB you will lose a lot of money with this in the longrun since you only hit a set 1 out of 8 times but can only win a maximum of 20BB when you do. Since you will have lost more than 20 BB during the course of the other 7 times you are essentially losing money.

Our Strategy prescribes a style of play in which there is no such thing as a 'call button'. There is raising or there is folding - but definitely no calling.

I advise you to re-read the articles - not only basic, but also bronze and silver. Your stats should have a VPIP of around 6-9 and the PFR should be no more than 1-2% less.

Best regards
      SoyCD