This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] river action

• BogdanDin7
      BogdanDin7
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand$0.1/$0.2 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)

Known players:
      CO(Hero):
      $36.25
      BU:
      $36.42
      SB:
      $28.68
      BB:
      $8.40

Preflop: Hero is CO with J, K.
      Hero raises to $0.8, BU calls $0.80, 2 folds.

Flop: ($1.90)
      9, T, 7 (2 players) Hero bets $1.20, BU calls $1.20.

Turn: ($4.30)
      8 (2 players) Hero bets $2.00, BU calls $2.00.

River: ($8.30)
      8 (2 players) Hero bets $4.00, BU raises to $14.2, Hero calls $10.20.

Final Pot: $36.70.

I know I should bet turn bigger , I guess ~3.5 would be ok ?

Question is what to do on the river. He was playing 18/13
      AF flop/turn/river 4.5/2.8/12.0
      WTSD 28%/W$SD 67% over 800 hands.

I have to call 10 for a total of ~36 so I guess I need around 27-28% equity. But I don`t really see him doing that with worse ? Is folding better or is the crying call ok ?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I think i would give it up right on the flop, this should hit his range rather hard, plus he seems very aggressive on the flop so i even expect to get raised off my gutshot+overs by semibluffs and air there sometimes.

As played definitely bet more on the turn, at least $3. Betting that small makes hand reading a mess unless you know your opponent very well. Had you bet stronger all the way, i don't think he would have reopened the betting 350bb deep on the river with just a J, even QJ would be doubtful.

As played on the river tho, i think you're representing an overpair in his eyes with your bet sizing. You would probably bet a lot more with anything stronger, to build the pot and make him pay off. Maybe your weak bets induced a river bluff on his part, but until i see him do it i wouldn't count on it at these stakes. Maybe he had JT and chose to only call the flop with TP+GS and reevaluate on the turn.

The only problem i see with him having a FH is that he didn't raise the flop with a set, with all the draws out there and you representing an overpair, a set or a flushdraw by c-betting a flop that scary, he could have gotten at least a call from you easily. Maybe he thought that a more aggressive line on his part would get you to fold all your range on the turn, so he chose to let you bet yourself and then lay you a good price on the river instead. Or he has a bad slowplaying habit, who knows, his tAF << rAF might be a consequence of that.

Overall given the price you're getting and the fact that you are under-representing your hand, i don't mind looking him up on the river, on the offchance that he's bluffing or that you are chopping with a J. If you had bet stronger all the way, i think i would definitely fold my straight there.

Hope it helps.