[NL20-NL50] river action

• BogdanDin7
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand$0.1/$0.2 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is CO with J, K.
      Hero raises to $0.8, BU calls $0.80, 2 folds.

Flop: ($1.90)
      9, T, 7 (2 players) Hero bets $1.20, BU calls $1.20.

Turn: ($4.30)
      8 (2 players) Hero bets $2.00, BU calls $2.00.

River: ($8.30)
      8 (2 players) Hero bets $4.00, BU raises to $14.2, Hero calls $10.20.

Final Pot: $36.70.

I know I should bet turn bigger , I guess ~3.5 would be ok ?

Question is what to do on the river. He was playing 18/13
      AF flop/turn/river 4.5/2.8/12.0
      WTSD 28%/W$SD 67% over 800 hands.

I have to call 10 for a total of ~36 so I guess I need around 27-28% equity. But I don`t really see him doing that with worse ? Is folding better or is the crying call ok ?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

I think i would give it up right on the flop, this should hit his range rather hard, plus he seems very aggressive on the flop so i even expect to get raised off my gutshot+overs by semibluffs and air there sometimes.

As played definitely bet more on the turn, at least $3. Betting that small makes hand reading a mess unless you know your opponent very well. Had you bet stronger all the way, i don't think he would have reopened the betting 350bb deep on the river with just a J, even QJ would be doubtful.

As played on the river tho, i think you're representing an overpair in his eyes with your bet sizing. You would probably bet a lot more with anything stronger, to build the pot and make him pay off. Maybe your weak bets induced a river bluff on his part, but until i see him do it i wouldn't count on it at these stakes. Maybe he had JT and chose to only call the flop with TP+GS and reevaluate on the turn.

The only problem i see with him having a FH is that he didn't raise the flop with a set, with all the draws out there and you representing an overpair, a set or a flushdraw by c-betting a flop that scary, he could have gotten at least a call from you easily. Maybe he thought that a more aggressive line on his part would get you to fold all your range on the turn, so he chose to let you bet yourself and then lay you a good price on the river instead. Or he has a bad slowplaying habit, who knows, his tAF << rAF might be a consequence of that.

Overall given the price you're getting and the fact that you are under-representing your hand, i don't mind looking him up on the river, on the offchance that he's bluffing or that you are chopping with a J. If you had bet stronger all the way, i think i would definitely fold my straight there.

Hope it helps.