Pot odds question

• cooltree123
      Apologies if this has already been asked, I couldn't find the answer in the search. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

According to the pokerstrategy bronze article on pot odds, you should calculated the pot odds by finding the ratio of
      (amount needed to call) : (total pot at this point).

My question is do you need to include your call in the total pot value?

E.g. $10 in pot on turn. MP1 bets $2. Are you looking at a 1:6 ratio or a 1:7 ratio? Please explain why.

I have heard in hasenbraten's videos that for if you are playing BSS and and SSS 3bets you all-in then you can call with over approx. 40% equity on their range. This must be taking your call into account in the total pot.

E.g. NL20 I raise to $0.80 shortstacker behind goes all in with $4
      If I take the 1st method then I must call $3.20 for $5.10 (including blinds) only allows me to call with approx 63% equity.

However, if I include my call then it is $3.20 for $8.30 which allows me to call with approx. 39% equity as mentioned in the video.

Thanks in advance for your valuable help :-)
  • 4 replies
    • BogdanDin7
      Just take some simple examples to clear you calculation. Take a pot of 50 opponent bets 25 into it. You have to call 25 to win 100. It`s obvious you need 25% equity here to have a breakeven strech. So your equity is calculater "Eq= to call / total pot obvious" 25/100 in the case I said above.

Take in mind tho if you want to use PS Equilator you have to enter the pot without your raise to get the correct equity.

Ofc I might be wrong and if that`s the case someone correct me please
    • RahXephon1
      The pot oddss include the amount you bet.
      The formula is:

1/((pot to win/amount to call)+1)

Or in your case:

If you need to bet two more to see the cards you would need to win in just more than 15% of the cases to make it profitable. One important thing is that this calculation is allright only if you or the opponent are all in or is the last street. Otherwise another bet from him would give you much worse (implied)odds

I suggest you reread this article

Pot odds are in the end.

And I suggest that you download this handy file from Xarry2 which will help you calculate the pot odds very quickly

• Hagbard00
      In your first example your pot odds are 1:6. That means you have to win at least once in seven similar situations in order for your call to be profitable. Ratio basiclly means (how many times you win : how many times you can lose). But in order to calculate equity in %, you have to devide 1/7, because you win once and lose six times 1/(1+6).

In the second example, you must call 3.2 to win 5.1, which means 3.2:5.1 pot odds, or 1:1.6. So this means you need 1/(1+1.6)*100% equity in order for your call to be profitable in the long run.

Oh, RahXephon1 already got it :)
    • cooltree123
      Thanks for your advice and input.

I now realise that my mistake was in how I converted from odds to %. I was doing (3.2/5.1)*100, whereas I should have done

Much appreciated :-)