Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      CO:
      $40.44
      Hero:
      $17.00

0.5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:heart: , K:club:
      6 folds, CO raises to $3.00, Hero raises to $9.00, 2 folds, CO calls $6.00.

Flop: ($19.50) 2:club: , Q:diamond: , J:diamond: (2 players)
      CO bets $31.44 (All-In), Hero raises to $8.00 (All-In).

Turn: ($58.94) 2:diamond:
      River: ($58.94) T:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $58.94

This is the kind of situation I often have trouble with, mathematically speaking. I have to call $8 for pot of $21.5 (3+9+1.5+8 equiv) so pot odds of 2.7:1. I need equity of 27.12% acc to Xarry's calc. If I give unknown CO 20% steal range and say that he calls my resteal with hands within my resteal range for unknown (ATo,88+, i.e. 8% - in fact my range should be tighter from BU but for the sake of argument), we can see I have 39% equity on the flop so it's an easy call.

But, if we think of the hands he will almost certainly put me all in with on this particular flop, we have, probably: AKo, AKs, AQs, AQo, AJs, AJo, (I think it's reasonable to assume that he will 4bet me all in preflop with better hands than these). Well, against this range, I have ~33% equity, so I think my call is still good.

Can anyone confirm or deny my workings?

p.s. of course, I could easily push pf since 3bet is > 1/2 my stack, but maybe I get more value from worse hands this way and it helps me with practicing flop play.
      TIA,
      Tim
  • 11 replies
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hi Tim,

Yeah, push pre-flop is the easiest move imo.

I didn't understand your pot odds calculation though. The pot on flop is $19.5, added to $8 of Co's push = $27.5 to your $8. That is 27.5 :8 = 3.43 :1, so that BEQ = 22.5%

By 3 betting pre-flop rather than pushing you'll pretty much always be commited on the flop, so it'll be an easy call, especially with the gutshot.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I push preflop. As played Easy Push on flop.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Gee I am an idiot. Only I can add 5 + 5 and get 11... X(

Forgot to include CO's preflop call of 6$. This is why I'm break even after 20,000 hands. :D
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64

Forgot to include CO's preflop call of 6$. This is why I'm break even after 20,000 hands. :D
      Thats not very many hands, Don't worry, it shows you likely arn't a losing player and with a bit of improvement should have a nice winrate.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze

We really can't be result-oriented. I've seen over 50K hands on the negative side.. just keep improving and your win-rate will follow you, eventually. :f_cool:
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Bronze
      push preflop ftw
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi Tim64,

Without history, I only tend to reraise smaller with a smaller stack with QQ+ like hands. AK is a connector hand thus you need as many cards as possible so I push preflop.

- Gerv
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hi Gerv,

Just for clarity, please can you explain what you mean when you say "you need as many cards as possible"?

Do you mean you want to 'pay' for all 5 cards preflop without having to decide whether to pay for 2 more cards if the 3 on the flop are unhelpful?
      Or is it something else?

Thanks
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      Yes I think this is basically what he wanted to say.

Another good think with pushing is that you can get villain to fold some hands that would be a little ahead (low pairs).
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Do you mean you want to 'pay' for all 5 cards preflop without having to decide whether to pay for 2 more cards if the 3 on the flop are unhelpful?
      Or is it something else?
      This ;)
      Pushing preflop =
      + Let weak and marginal holdings fold
      + Maximum value out of {suited} connectors (AK/AQs)
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      Hi Tim64,

Without history, I only tend to reraise smaller with a smaller stack with QQ+ like hands. AK is a connector hand thus you need as many cards as possible so I push preflop.

- Gerv
      hmm but how about balancing?