Small winnings but i've learnt a lesson :) Beginners have a read

• Jonnym32
      Jonnym32
      Silver
      As most beginners to real money poker i thought i was better than i was and went ahead to play without fully understanding the strategies such as SS and BS (although i was very aware of BRM), as a result i lost $40 lol (some due to bad play some due to people lucking out). However, decided to start reading and understanding and i have made $5 in the same time i would have lost double or triple it :) . If any beginners to real money poker online are reading this, i really do recommend reading the strategies fully before you start :) Now to rebuild my bank roll, wish me luck :D
  • 13 replies
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Good to see someone have such a loss and still have a positive attitude.
      Goodluck.
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Gold
      I've lost lots as well. And trying to stick to BRM at the mo. It's hard.
      Good luck anyway
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DecMate
      Good luck anyway
      BRM is the key
    • Jonnym32
      Jonnym32
      Silver
      Originally posted by DecMate
      Good luck anyway
      lol :P guess i'm keeping my positive attitude because i know where i've gone wrong and i've seen how to fix my mistakes, that's the key really.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Hats off. Most beginners in your spot go on tilt, donk away all their money and whine on the forums about how "unlucky" they got. Keep it up.
    • BogdanDin7
      BogdanDin7
      Bronze
      good luck building yourself a roll mate. Just play solid poker , stick to BRM and try not to tilt when it seems that the fish get everything and you`lll be fine ;p
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Silver
      A few days a go I lost half my bankroll cause of a 45bi downswing. Now im rebuilding my bankroll :s_grin:

Shit happens. Just make sure your playing your best. And make sure your best is profitable :f_biggrin:
    • lozz08
      lozz08
      Bronze
      I too lost about $40 (two days). When I think about it it was only because I was playing far too loose and not following the SSS. If you do follow SSS exactly you WILL make money, at least in the smaller limits, and now my bankroll is back up to $50 after another two days.
    • Jonnym32
      Jonnym32
      Silver
      Originally posted by lozz08
      I too lost about $40 (two days). When I think about it it was only because I was playing far too loose and not following the SSS. If you do follow SSS exactly you WILL make money, at least in the smaller limits, and now my bankroll is back up to $50 after another two days.
      nice one congrats, guess there is hope for me :D although i'm playing BSS now after having tried SSS i really don't like it lol, can sit there for hours waiting for cards and then you either win a minuscule amount or lose it all to some lucker
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Silver
      Originally posted by lozz08
      I don't understand how could I loose 24$ on NL10 SSS over ~7000 hands. I folowed the basic strategy. I was crushing NL4 using the same strategy. I think the basic strategy should be enough on this limit. But I was playing NL4 on not tracked site and NL10 on mansion (maybe on mansion you must be more advanced on this limit :rolleyes: ). On NL4 I didn't see downswings bigger than 5 buy-ins.
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      I had a 60k hands (1month) loosing streak on NL10 (SSS) that i fault in equal part to bad play/bad luck/high rake. Since then I analyzed my game a lot, posted a lot of hands to the forum and I'm now positive on the first 15k hands on NL 25.

I don't think you can judge results on any sample smaller than 50k hands, just review all your sessions and study a lot and you will improve.
    • lozz08
      lozz08
      Bronze
      The only thing I dont follow with SSS is the preflop raising. If I get dealt pocket K and do the standard raise and get folds all round, I'll gauge that the particular table is being tighter, and maybe next time raise less, even call, and let them try to bluff you, as so many low limit players like to think they can do proficiently.

It is true that the way the table you're playing at is should determine a fair amount of your strategy. I think as long as you play really tight as the short stack you can give yourself some leeway in terms of the rules of raising/calling and try to inject a touch of creativity to really maximise your gains.
    • drdrab
      drdrab
      Bronze
      Yeah I was down a lot in my first few weeks but then I started rolling better and found that BSS is my stronger game and I've been making significant increases ever since and I hope it continues.

One thing I think is really useful is just controlling pots, that got me into trouble earlier on because I was happy to let the pot escalate when other players still had outs to hit.

Anyway good luck in building it back up and worst comes to worst just hit your sign up bonus points and get an extra $100 :D