[NL2-NL10] nl10sh ak

• gummybeared
      gummybeared
      Bronze
      Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (Button) ($27.38)
      SB ($10.35)
      BB ($38.15)
      UTG ($10.34)
      MP ($10)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K, A
      2 folds, Hero bets $0.35, 1 fold, BB raises to $1.10, Hero calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.25) 5, A, 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $1.80

Should I be ready to go broke on this board being 270bb deep?

might seem a dumb question...
  • 7 replies
    • BogdanDin7
      BogdanDin7
      Bronze
      If you aren`t fold it preflop. If you are not comfortable playing for a 200 BB stack in a situation like that just leave the table when you double up , no shame in that. Playing deep is a little different anyway .
    • gummybeared
      gummybeared
      Bronze
      I like to play deep. I'd want to learn it play better tho..
    • rickydaprince
      rickydaprince
      Bronze
      Hello. That is like the perfect flop for you. Raise it up. I don't think he's prepared to go broke either unless he has a really, really strong hand. You both have fold equity against each other because of your stacks. If you want to take the passive line and let him bet the AQ or AJ then just call it down. Imo, a deep stack in BB will defend his blinds quite often, so you're up against a loose range and your AK should do well here.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Raise him here, I would fold if I get a re-raise or shove.

He may think you are trying to steal, and steal your steal, so you also could have re-raised him preflop.

It could be possible he hit a straight on the flop with 34, otherwise your hand is most likely the best.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Against an unknown I would advise against raising that flop 270bb deep. What's even more important than your ability to play deep-stacked is your opponent's ability to play deep-stacked, which you have no idea about i guess. His range could be really wide, really thin, or exactly the same as 100bb deep depending on how aware of the situation he is.

When you raise that board, you're not representing much except exactly AK (which you might have 4bet preflop for all he knows), 22, 55, and air. If that guy is any good and knows how much pressure he can put on you by 3betting such a dry flop as a bluff or by calling your flop raise and leading the turn into you, you're gonna be in big trouble with your top pair unless you're willing to bet 270bb on how true the yeti theorem is. If he is bad or isn't good at playing deepstacked either, you will have a hard time interpreting anything he does and will end up playing a guessing game against an erratic unknown for huge stacks. You might even fold the best hand because he overplayed AQ, thinking that AK isn't in your range because everyone 4bets AK preflop.

I'd rather take a passive c/c line if you don't want to make hard decision for all your stack against an unknown. If you are ahead he has like 3 outs, if you're somehow behind you're almost almost dead. Given the stacks if he is good he will probably figure that you can float the c-bet light here and will try to put pressure on you by firing the turn again to get rid of anything that isn't AJ+ on your part. If he doesn't bet the turn, you get to choose the price of the showdown for yourself, which is a good thing to minimize the losses if you aren't quite ready to play deep-stacked yet.

Hope it helps.
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Just giving the guys more information regarding the The Yeti Theorem

The Yeti Theorem
      This theory was created by a long-time 2+2 poster. It stats: A player who 3-bets on a dry, paired board is [almost] always bluffing.

A perfect example of this is: Say you're on the BB with 99 and its folded to the button who raises it up. You call and the flop is 6h 2d 2s. You check, your opponent bets, and then you check raise him. Now if your opponent re-raises you, this is where the Yeti Theorem comes into play.

If your opponent had a 2 or 66, they would not 3 bet on this flop. Instead, they would be more apt to just calling your reraise in hopes of profiting on the later streets.

Floating

Floating is calling a bet on the flop showing a dry board with the intent of taking it down on the river.

An example is: You're UTG with 78s. Its folded to a player in LP who raises it up and you call. The flop is Kh 5s 10d. You check and your opponent bets. You should call because its very unlikely the board has improved your opponents hand. You hope the turn goes check/check, then you will do about a 1/2 pot bluff bet to try and take it down. If your opponent bets on the turn, you simply let your hand go.

Floating is good against opponents who like C-bet on the flop. Also, with a call on the flop, there is a good chance of you seeing 2 cards for cheap to improve your hand.

The only thing recommended is trying to steal the pot on the flop with a check raise because you open yourself up to an even bigger re-steal.

The Yeti Theorem + Floating

Interesting enough, both topics can be used in similar situations.

Say you're in EP with 66 and an opponent raises it up. You call and the flop comes 7h 4s 4d. you check and your opponent bets. You should try check raising in this situation because: Its very unlikely your opponents hand improved, you have a chance of taking it down, and if your opponent 3 bets it-the Yeti Theorem comes into play.

The Yeti Theorem and Floating works more often then not because most hands need to be improved. the odds of unpaired hands vs paired hands is 16:1, so there is little fear of running into bigger pairs in most situations.
    • gummybeared
      gummybeared
      Bronze
      thanks