$10.00
      MP3:
      $18.65
      CO:
      $10.20
      BU:
      $5.30

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, Q.
      MP3 calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.5, MP3 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.05) K, A, 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: ($1.05) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.80, MP3 raises to $2, Hero calls $1.20.

River: ($5.05) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $2.60, Hero calls $2.60.

Final Pot: $10.25.
  • 3 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hey gavin, is this from our session? cant remember how it ended. :D
      looking at it now, i think we shouldv contibet the flop and reraised the turn.
      I'm not really expecting him to turn up an AK or AA limping preflop like that and checking the flop.
      55 or K5 is the only other hand that beats us, and even then, why would he check behind us on the flop? makes no sense.
    • rickydaprince
      rickydaprince
      Bronze
      Hello. Definitely cbet to know how good your hand is... you can fold when he gives you action on this flop (people usually fold to A K high flops very quickly :D ). Now the turn, the guy can raise with Ax, slowplayed set/fh, or worse Kx since you didn't c/bet the flop, he probably thinks you're bluffing. You could take the line you did and go for pot control.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Being out of position, the easiest line to take is probably to bet/fold the flop and then try to check it down if he calls. Some worse hands might still call a bet, and it will send the message that you follow up on your 3bets with a c-bet, so that your opponents know they would expect more action when they call your 3bets preflop.

When you check you're basically turning your hand into a bluff-catcher (no worse hands will bet that flop for value), which can be a good thing if you know what to expect from your opponent concerning bluffs. Since you don't know anything about him here, you forced yourself into a guessing game which might cost your a lot of money if you guess wrong.

As played obviously you improve on the turn, so betting is fine. When he raises 2.5x, i doubt he ever has you beat, but he might do that for value with worse hands or he might be bluffing. If he's bluffing and we just call i don't really expect him to fire again on the river. If you think he will, calling the turn raise and c/calling any river is an okay option.

If you don't, the question is whether worse hands will call a 3bet on the turn or not. Worse Kx fit the action and won't ever fold but are unlikely, a turned flushdraw might call but will most likely just fold, Ax might call again too but it's doubtful he would check back those on the flop. I think against an unknown the chance of stacking worse Kx while protecting from a possible flushdraw and blowing him off his bluffs make 3betting a good option here too.

Hope it helps.