CamStudio Video settings

• Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hi folks, searched for a useful thread but couldn't see one.

Anyone have some decent settings to use for CamStudio to keep the file size to a decent limit but maintain a watchable session for posting?

Currently I have the following Video options set:

Set key frames every: 30 frames
      Capture frames every: 50 milliseconds
      Playback rate: 20 frames/second

These were just recommended settings off a random tutorial.
  • 4 replies
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      It all depends on the codec/compressor you choose. If you have the xvid codec try that one. Just use default settings for the codec and set the quality preset to real-time. Set the playback rate to 15 frames/sec using the auto-adjust feature. No need for higher fps since the screenshot is static for the most part. My computer is a little slow but this produces a watchable vid and is about 1MB/min. If your computer is faster you'll likely get much better results. I turn the audio record off in camstudio and record the audio seperately with a handy little program called audacity, it's free. If I use camstudio to record the audio and video my computer doesn't handle it as well. If you do it this way you'll need Virtual Dub, another free program, to make the audio and video into one. Just make sure to choose direct stream copy when making the new file, otherwise virtualdub will reprocess stuff and that will take a while. Also, under the video menu, click frame-rate and check on make the audio and video durations match so everything is in sync.

Once you do it a couple times you'll have it memorized. :f_cool:
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Thanks SalamiandCheese!

I used the codec that was on the download page for CamStudio - LossLess codec. I'll try adjusting the Playback rate on that to 15 frames/second and I'll see how that goes... as for the audio I've just used CamStudio to record this.. does this lead to a bigger file size?

So.. I'll try adjusting the Playback rate. If that doesn't work I'll try to download the xvid codec and use that as you've suggested with audio.

If that doesn't give decent results then I'll try the separate audio dubbing.

*phew*

And then I'll sit down and have a cup of tea and know that I've probably got that all memorised. And I don't drink tea. :f_o:
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      5 frames/sec are more than enough for session recording :)
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Cheers opal99 will give it a lash again when I don't hate myself for playing. :f_cry: