This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL100 JJ 3bet by loosish player

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $120.37
      Hero:
      $35.65

0.5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with J:club: , J:spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $3.00, 5 folds, SB raises to $10.00, BB folds, Hero raises to $20.00, SB raises to $60.50, Hero raises to $35.65 (All-In).

Flop: ($97.15) 3:diamond: , 8:diamond: , 8:spade:
      Turn: ($97.15) J:diamond:
      River: ($97.15) A:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $97.15

Results follow (highlight to see):

Just doubled up with a suckout - my 77 beating AA - so should maybe have been more cautious. No firm reads but villain just seemed a little loose. Should I just fold this to the 3bet? And, if I want to find out where I stand by 4betting, do I fold to the push or am I committed? Or, to put it another way, are Jacks just too weak a hand to 4bet with?
      TIA
  • 7 replies
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hey Tim,

Without further reads I'd push directly as a 4 bet. Raising to $20 won't get you max FE and will make you commited anyway.

If he is raising you with JJ+ AK and only calling the 4 bet with KK+, you get +EV. If he is looser than that, even better.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I lower my variance by not going broke for 40BB with JJ. I think its too likely you're behind or at best flipping for this amount, You raised out of UTG after all. unless of course, muchos high 3bet%
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DaPhunk
      I lower my variance by not going broke for 40BB with JJ. I think its too likely you're behind or at best flipping for this amount, You raised out of UTG after all. unless of course, muchos high 3bet%
      +1
    • colo81
      colo81
      Bronze
      hello

It's my 1º post in english forum,

I'm from spanish comunnity :D

my english is horrible

with 35 BB ---> I bet ----> villain 3bet ----> I prefer fold the hand, because BSS 3bet to SSS raise from UTG is probably have a strong hand, QQ+, AK and only have flip coin vs AK :(

only have 100 hand of villain and 3bet stats we need more than 300-400 hands.

i don't like your minraise 4bet, it's better ALL IN because you have maximun FE (fold equity)

you use elephant in NL100 ? i think you need buy a Holdem Manager, because you can see the vpip and PFR for each position, and with pop up you have a lot of information.

good luck

colo
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DaPhunk
      Yeah, I might also prefer this option rather than my own previous suggestion :D , for the sake of lower variance.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey Tim64,

if you could put "a little loose" on a range would be great. :)

However, no opponent with brains will 3-bet UTG raise lose enough to push JJ with double stack. The loosest range I would expect form 16/17 guy would be TT+/AQ+ and even against this range you lack equity with JJ.

Now, if we presume opponent does 3-bet loose enough to go broke then I would just push as 4-bet/fold is no option due to commitment and if he calls you you actually let him see the flop for free as you're pushing any flop then anyway.

I usually fold JJ with double stack to 3-bet by default when I raise UTG.

Regards,
      burek2000
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Thanks, Burek2000, that all makes perfect sense - I will be a little more cautious next time even though I was lucky on this occasion.