Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $120.37
      Hero:
      $35.65

0.5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with J:club: , J:spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $3.00, 5 folds, SB raises to $10.00, BB folds, Hero raises to $20.00, SB raises to $60.50, Hero raises to $35.65 (All-In).

Flop: ($97.15) 3:diamond: , 8:diamond: , 8:spade:
      Turn: ($97.15) J:diamond:
      River: ($97.15) A:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $97.15

Results follow (highlight to see):

Just doubled up with a suckout - my 77 beating AA - so should maybe have been more cautious. No firm reads but villain just seemed a little loose. Should I just fold this to the 3bet? And, if I want to find out where I stand by 4betting, do I fold to the push or am I committed? Or, to put it another way, are Jacks just too weak a hand to 4bet with?
      TIA
  • 7 replies
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hey Tim,

Without further reads I'd push directly as a 4 bet. Raising to $20 won't get you max FE and will make you commited anyway.

If he is raising you with JJ+ AK and only calling the 4 bet with KK+, you get +EV. If he is looser than that, even better.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I lower my variance by not going broke for 40BB with JJ. I think its too likely you're behind or at best flipping for this amount, You raised out of UTG after all. unless of course, muchos high 3bet%
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DaPhunk
      I lower my variance by not going broke for 40BB with JJ. I think its too likely you're behind or at best flipping for this amount, You raised out of UTG after all. unless of course, muchos high 3bet%
      +1
    • colo81
      colo81
      Bronze
      hello

It's my 1º post in english forum,

I'm from spanish comunnity :D

my english is horrible

with 35 BB ---> I bet ----> villain 3bet ----> I prefer fold the hand, because BSS 3bet to SSS raise from UTG is probably have a strong hand, QQ+, AK and only have flip coin vs AK :(

only have 100 hand of villain and 3bet stats we need more than 300-400 hands.

i don't like your minraise 4bet, it's better ALL IN because you have maximun FE (fold equity)

you use elephant in NL100 ? i think you need buy a Holdem Manager, because you can see the vpip and PFR for each position, and with pop up you have a lot of information.

good luck

colo
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DaPhunk
      Yeah, I might also prefer this option rather than my own previous suggestion :D , for the sake of lower variance.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey Tim64,

if you could put "a little loose" on a range would be great. :)

However, no opponent with brains will 3-bet UTG raise lose enough to push JJ with double stack. The loosest range I would expect form 16/17 guy would be TT+/AQ+ and even against this range you lack equity with JJ.

Now, if we presume opponent does 3-bet loose enough to go broke then I would just push as 4-bet/fold is no option due to commitment and if he calls you you actually let him see the flop for free as you're pushing any flop then anyway.

I usually fold JJ with double stack to 3-bet by default when I raise UTG.

Regards,
      burek2000
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Thanks, Burek2000, that all makes perfect sense - I will be a little more cautious next time even though I was lucky on this occasion.