[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH 99 in BB vs maniac

• gavinonymous
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      CO is a maniac 88/57/5.8 VP/PF/AF 3bet 37% WTSD 40%

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9, 9.
      MP3 folds, CO calls $0.10, BU calls $0.10, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.35) T, 8, 9 (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.40, BU folds, Hero calls $0.40.

Turn: ($1.15) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40.

River: ($1.95) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.70, CO raises to $5.4, Hero raises to $26.9, CO calls $15.50.

Final Pot: $49.75.
  • 5 replies
    • michaelqian
      Why did you check both the flop and the turn? You are not protecting your hand, especially with possible flush and straight draws on the board.

That river card turned out to be a good card for you, but otherwise it could have easily gone the other way.
    • kosmonaut111
      I think checks were because of the opponent who most likely bets, when checked.
      Although he is a maniac, you could raise preflop to make the pot bigger. If he 3bets now, you just call and hope for suitable flop. Implied odds against loose maniac are very good.
      Against him I would checkraise him on flop. The board has too much draws to just call with set. He has high WTSD also, so he call likely your bet with draws and weaker hands.
      Call turn was OK , you wont get money from nonstraight hands here.
      River is easy shove. If he had 88, TT or JJ its bad luck.
    • gavinonymous
      Preflop, I assumed I'd get 3 bet if I raised, and didn't mind keeping others in the pot. I knew he would bet out no matter what hit.

The flop, I thought of way ahead way behind and didn't want to get in a big pot to have to fold to a huge bluff with a decent hand so I kept it cheap. By the turn, I figure I'm behind or in a lot of danger and plan to just call a river bet until the 8 comes.

It might look weak, but I really thought he would raise, 3bet and try to outplay me whatever I had. This guy was all action, I ended up winning 4 stacks from him and lost one but I think I was lucky.
    • MaestroOfZerg

You should really try and change your approach against maniacs. If you only build big pots with the absolute nuts you are going to get pushed around a lot and forced to fold way too many hands when they have nothing themselves. I'll try and get you thinking.

You have 99 preflop, this is a huge hand against that player, he plays 88% of all hands dealt to him (88% !!!), you should try and get more money in preflop even out of position. If he 3bets you, most of the time this will be with garbage you're way ahead of with your 99, he has 37% 3bet that's like 1/3 of the deck (even 87s is in there), so you're more than happy to play a 3bet pot with him if he wants to. Stacking off for 200bb with 99 preflop is probably pushing it, although against some maniacs this might be standard, so just call and see a flop.

You flop middle set, again this is a huge hand against that player, you should be ecstatic right now. That guy would have raised QJ and TT preflop, so you have the effective nuts, congratulations. Now is the time to start getting a lot of money in the pot with your 200bb stacks, your goal is to take it all. That guy will play with you if he has any piece of the flop. Tx, Q9, a flushdraw, a 1 card straight draw, anything you name it he will play it. You should c/r right there both to protect and to get him going, if he 3bets (which he might do as a bluff too he's nuts remember?) 4bet him and call the shove. No matter what happens next this player will always stack off lighter than you, don't be afraid and take his money, he might put in 200bb with T8 there. Even if he somehow has a straight or makes a flush you can still boat up, this won't ever be a bad stack off. Ever.

I'm not going to go over the later streets because they aren't that important in themselves, once you get the general idea you will be able to apply it just fine. Mainly two things to remember :

* Your hands go way up in value against maniacs, they play anything they fire with anything, if you don't loosen up your requirements for playing big pots and for stacking off you're gonna bleed money to them.

* This is basically poker on steroids. Stacks are going to fly, they HAVE to fly for you to really profit from the situation, if you are scared to get involved with those people you won't make money off them.

Sorry if i was a little harsh, i thought it might be better to get the message through, as it really requires you thinking differently, you can't be scared of putting money in the pot with a hand that good against that type of player.

Hope it helps.
    • gavinonymous
      hi tamairlarace, thanks that's really helpful. I haven't had a chance to read the gold article on maniacs, I don't take it as harsh at all :) I hope to post more hands against these maniacs soon :s_cool: