[NL20-NL50] nl25 sh K9

• BloodyB
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9, K.
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($1.50) 5, 7, K (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.00, BB raises to $2.5, Hero calls $1.50.

Turn: ($6.50) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks.

River: ($6.50) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.00, BB raises to $8, Hero calls $4.00.

Final Pot: $22.50.

V: 31/16/2/39 123h
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

That guy seems quite loose preflop, it's safe to assume he can show up on this flop with just about any piece. For him to raise your bet he probably has either a flushdraw, better Kx, the unlikely two pairs or sets, and often some air given that it's a blind battle.

If you 3bet he probably won't let go of his flushdraws nor Kx and better of course, but he will fold his air. Still, i don't think he's bluffing there that often, and if he is i don't believe he will follow through with it most of the time anyway, so you don't really lose money.

If you just call and the turn is a diamond, you're not gonna like it. Plus if he really is bluffing and willing to continue he will fire again on diamond scare cards, so you might get blown off the best hand. On a blank turn if you lead into him you're likely gonna fold out all the hands you beat and get shoved on by all the hands that beat you so it's not really an improvement over the flop 3bet. That leaves you with c/calling and giving your opponent the option to take a free river card with his draws, or to bet again into you with made hands and sometimes draws too.

I don't think you can give up your top pair there without a solid read on him. Your opponent doesn't have much of a stack left and you're out of position, so I'd 3bet the flop to get the flushdraws all-in while accepting that sometimes i'm toast against his made hands. You were probably gonna stack off against Kx, two pairs and sets no matter what anyway, better to make sure we take the flushdraws with us instead of putting ourselves in a negative freeroll for the next two streets.

As played until the river, his range likely hasn't changed, meaning he either has a busted flush draw or he has you beat, i don't see what worse hand will call you there. I'd c/call in case he bluffs his busted flushdraw.

Hope it helps.