Small pocket pairs-UTG

• Baxter82
      I have a question regarding article in the No limit section: Columns and quizzes.
      It is the article: Quiz of the week-pocket pairs and sets.
      This is the situation:

Assignment 1.1.

Stacks & Stats
      BB ($125.43)
      SB ($123.50)
      BU ($88)
      CO ($143.65)
      MP ($145.50)
      Hero ($134.45)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 2 , 2

How do you react?
      a) Fold
      b) Limp
      c) Raise

Their solution is c) Raise.

Why is that the correct answer? Hero is UTG with small pocket pair. If we look at BSS starting hands chart we can see that we have to fold small pocket pairs in early positions. Can somebody explain this to me?
  • 4 replies
    • Atoks
      U will be easy to read if u will only raise ur top 5% or even top 10% of ur range UTG. U raise any PP from UTG mainly for deception. U will also hit ur set on the flop often enough to make a good profit.
    • Baxter82
      Ok, I understand. But, if we take into consideration that we only use articles for BSS, it is not in accordance with that strategy. Shouldn't beginners only stick to that strategy and then later upgrade their play using deception and other stuff?
    • kingdippy2008
      Hi Baxter82,

Looking at this hand i would raise because it is a Short-Handed game (6 max)
      I raise any pocket pair from any position in a SH game because the value of them go up so much and they are good for deception.

All beginner articles you have read refer to the Full Ring game. I see you are bronze so i would guess that you havent read the silver articles which start to develop more into 6 max play.

FR can be a very different game from SH ;)

• Baxter82
      OK, now it is clear. Thanks a lot!