[NL2-NL10] nl50 AA

• excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      should i not have slowplayed this instead of making it too obvious i had AA?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG1:
      $50.00
      UTG2:
      $10.00
      MP1(Hero):
      $33.50
      MP2:
      $96.10
      MP3:
      $92.25
      CO:
      $9.00
      BU:
      $52.00
      SB:
      $53.50
      BB:
      $61.00

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A, A.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $2, 4 folds, SB raises to $6.5, BB folds, Hero raises to $18, SB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $9.00.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of aces (A A)
      Hero wins with a pair of aces (A A).
  • 7 replies
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Nah, push pre flop, NH!
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hi excelgeo,

nice hand!

Don't slowplay monsters as you don't want people to suck out on you.

Regards,
      burek2000
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      that sort of advice though is for straight forward poker. i thought real poker is being able to conceal the strength of your hand so that you can extract value. if i flat call his 3-bet then i should expect a pretty serious continuation bet from him, which i can shove and therefore get more money out of him

is that a risk you are not willing to take?

ps is it just me who cannot reply to threads???? i reply and it says that it timed out. not just today, but very often...
    • BlitzkriegBaron
      BlitzkriegBaron
      Bronze
      In SSS you never ever slowplay hands preflop - if you have the absolute nuts you could by all means slowplay postflop.

In BSS you could probably slowplay this (not sure, I'm not BSS) but I guess it's because the dynamics of having a big stack are completely different.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Wtf I thought I judged this one...

Anyway, I 4bet to $14 or $13 to get it all-in on the FLop. If you call now, you probably will see the Turn as well

- Gerv
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by excelgeo
      that sort of advice though is for straight forward poker. i thought real poker is being able to conceal the strength of your hand so that you can extract value. if i flat call his 3-bet then i should expect a pretty serious continuation bet from him, which i can shove and therefore get more money out of him

ps is it just me who cannot reply to threads???? i reply and it says that it timed out. not just today, but very often...
      It's true that's more or less straight forward poker, but I think it's a bad idea to deviate from that. For example, I wouldn't cold call any hand from my playing range here, I would either 4-bet or fold any hand, not just AA, so, this already makes the hand somewhat concealed. On the other hand, I believe cold calling OOP 3-bet pot preflop shows even more strength than 4-betting.

So, I prefer to 4-bet preflop not just cause villain can suck out on you, but also cause if you call pre you give him both, advantage of position and initiative and it can happen that opponent outplays you postflop when you have bigger stack and lack postflop skills as SSS player.

Sometimes it can be ok to call preflop if opponent was very aggressive, then you could let him strangle himself, but against unknown, I wouldn't experiment too much.
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      Originally posted by burek2000
      Originally posted by excelgeo

It's true that's more or less straight forward poker, but I think it's a bad idea to deviate from that. For example, I wouldn't cold call any hand from my playing range here, I would either 4-bet or fold any hand, not just AA, so, this already makes the hand somewhat concealed. On the other hand, I believe cold calling OOP 3-bet pot preflop shows even more strength than 4-betting.

So, I prefer to 4-bet preflop not just cause villain can suck out on you, but also cause if you call pre you give him both, advantage of position and initiative and it can happen that opponent outplays you postflop when you have bigger stack and lack postflop skills as SSS player.

Sometimes it can be ok to call preflop if opponent was very aggressive, then you could let him strangle himself, but against unknown, I wouldn't experiment too much.
      i wouldnt say i lack postflop skills, i have played BSS for months, sss has been a very recent attitude change to excercise discipline, grind out bonuses and get a feel for how things are on this side of the poker spectrum

still, solid advice i can see where you are coming from

thanks!