Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $50,00
      BB:
      $29,91

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:heart: , Q:spade:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0,75, BB calls $0,50.

Flop: ($1,50) 9:heart: , Q:diamond: , 3:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,75, BB calls $0,75.

Turn: ($3,00) 5:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2,25, BB calls $2,25.

River: ($7,50) 4:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $5,25, BB raises to $26,16 (All-In), Hero calls $20,91.

Final Pot: $59,82

This felt like an easy call. There are quite a few hands I beat, and not so many that have me beaten...

Let's say the river completes a flush. Would that be a bet/fold against this TAG?
  • 4 replies
    • CrippleAlex
      CrippleAlex
      Bronze
      You can't fold here.

nh
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Raise bigger preflop, bet more on the flop.

As played this is an easy call on the river.

If the river had completed the flush this would have been a tough decision, as i would expect a tag to raise that flop almost always with a flushdraw. That guy has a rather low AF tho, maybe he doesn't raise his draws all the time. He might still shove a lower set on a flushing river figuring you rarely have the flush, but wouldn't he have raised a set on previous streets ?

You'd have been in the all too familiar situation where your tag opponent can't really represent the flush yet he's shoving on you. Is it more likely at nl25 that :

* he is bluff/shoving the river ? No.

* he played a strong flush draw passively ? Maybe.

* he badly slowplayed a lower set ? Maybe.

Since this is a blind battle and that guy goes to showdown way too often, i believe i would call anyway and make a note on his play whatever he shows down.

Hope it helps.
    • koaesica
      koaesica
      Bronze
      Yeah, I definitely should bet more on the flop when I think about it. I'm agreeing with everything apart from raising more preflop. He was a TAG with like 70% fold to steal, and against such opponents I'm always raising 3x to make my steals cheaper. Against fish or people who doesn't fold against steals I raise 4x, since then I'm only raising with good hands.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

If that's your standard it's fine against tags that don't defend their BB often, but keep in mind that for those who do, this also makes playing back at you cheaper, be it by calling wider with great odds in position or by 3betting for $2.25 instead of $3.

Hope it helps.