Bad Play with 7-7???

• Runur
      Runur
      Bronze
      I play a SnG. SB 50 and BB 100. We are 7 players left and I have an average stack (about 2100 chips) and I sit in BB.

UTG calls(about 1500 in chips), second player folds,
      third player calls(about 1100 in chips),
      fourth player(chip leader whit about 3300) raises to 250, next to players folds.
      I have 7-7 and have already paid BB, but there are 2 players to act after me. What should I do in this situation?

The thing that did happen was, that I folded and the other 2 players called. The flop came 7-J-K in different suites. The 2 callers checked and chip leader bet 250 and won the pot. But I could have made a set....
      Was this a bad play?
  • 7 replies
    • pondlife78
      pondlife78
      Silver
      That seems a fairly straight-forward fold. Remember that the majority of times you are not going to hit that set and would have been forced to fold on the flop anyway. Also for all you know that player could have had kk or jj. What happened after you'd made the correct initial decision becomes irrelevant.

edit (reread and it's not clear that all I meant was what happened after the fold was irrelevant)
    • advola
      advola
      Bronze
      R u real with your answer?
      He was BB he needed to call only 1.5bb thats nothing
      thats a good price for set value when you get paid good
      if someone let say in the flop you said have AK or KJ
      you cauld have doubled there easely with good play
      and if he had KK or JJ he would have raise more preflop
      or raise less on the flop
      you need to pay attention to the ppl and thair raises
      to know if your good in a situation
      trust me about it
    • Vitjsa
      Vitjsa
      Bronze
      I must agree that he should have called that small amount for a possible set...
    • zhenzhenZHEN
      zhenzhenZHEN
      Bronze
      i would fold this..<24 bb
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      you are getting the right odds using the call15-20 rule against the chip leader and assuming another player calls his raise the odds get better.

its definitely worth calling if u want to play it for set value.

but its also not a mistake to fold and protect your stack.

if the chip leader is tight it might be more towards a fold because if you hit ur set is he going to stack off against you that often? maybe not..

if he is loose then you might be more inclined to call and hope to hit and stack off :)
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      It is pretty easy fold. There is also chance that the utg will come over the top, because people love to limp AA/KK in utg in high blind levels. You will also be out of position (not so relevant with pocket pairs, but still matters).
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Silver
      Originally posted by Anssi
      It is pretty easy fold. There is also chance that the utg will come over the top, because people love to limp AA/KK in utg in high blind levels. You will also be out of position (not so relevant with pocket pairs, but still matters).
      This. If you do call though do not be afraid of JJ or KK.. that's just a cooler :) .