Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $25,20
      BU:
      $25,00

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.62 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5:spade: , 5:diamond:
      2 folds, BU raises to $1,00, SB folds, Hero raises to $3,50, BU calls $2,50.

Flop: ($7,10) 9:spade: , 8:spade: , J:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $4,25, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back..

Final Pot: $7,10

should I cbet this flop? I have problems in putting villian on a range here, so I don't know if I should cbet here or not, if he calls my cbet what should I do on diffrent turn cards etc.. I think that I don't cbet in 3bet pots often enough and they exploit me here.
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

3betting small pocket pair against a guy with those stats is probably not a good idea to begin with, he'll call your 3bet way too often with a wide range you'll have a hard time defining, which won't help you play profitably postflop at all.

That flop is about as ugly as it gets. That guy doesn't seem good at first glance but that's all the more reason for us not to get involved, he'll call with any made hand any straight draw any flush draw and he might even call with 2 overcards or a naked gutshot.

Just let it go.

Hope it helps.
    • Macias09
      Macias09
      Bronze
      What do you mean here "against a guy with those stats"? We have only 11 hands on him but assuming this is his correct stats his ats is 50 (ORL = ats right?) So do I have enough implies to call for set? How do you know he will call my 3bet way to often? Is it because of big gap between vpip and prf and you assume he is bad enough to call my 3bet?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

What i'm saying is that over this small sample you can't really know how good he is and how he will react to your 3bet, and neither can I. Since you only have 11 hands, he might be a bad player who will call your 3bet often but that you can't handle correctly postflop, he might be a good player recognizing that you don't need to be strong to 3bet here and thus will 4bet you with anything or call in position and make your life hell, and so on.

When you 3bet small pocket pairs BB/SB vs BU/CO it's basically because you expect him to be stealing with a lot of trash and fold to your 3bet often so it's profitable for you. Knowing that makes this player taggish and you can put him on ranges somewhat accurately for postflop play. The less you know about your opponent the less you can make these assumptions, meaning you will end up in tricky spots more often when you do that without having an okay read on him. He might call preflop with 43o and call your cbet with bottompair forcing you to give up the best hand, he might (re)raise you at some point with god knows what if he's a tag, and since you can't predict any of his plays you'll end up leaking more money this way oop postflop then you'll win when he simply folds preflop.

If you just want to develop an aggressive dynamic between you two it's fine, just be aware that this can become costly given that you set yourself up for playing a 3bet pot oop with a hand that will be an underpair on the flop the vast majority of the time while having no idea how this guy plays.

For the same reason you can't call for set value here, you'll be out of position and you have no idea what he's raising with. He might be a 15/0 meaning he'll always have AA and when you crack it you win his stack all the time, or he might be a tag with 96s which you'll almost never stack even if you do hit. Since you can't quantify your implied odds, you shouldn't call.

Hope it helps.