When to consider moving up limits?

• michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Hi all

Have $70 at the moment, from bonuses and rake back, including the $50 initial starting capital, so overall about $6 down from the initial $60.

Been playing 1/2c for a month now, definitely improved my game a lot since I started. Just want to know is it only recommendable for me to move up to 2/5c when I have $250?

At 1/2c, I keep making some money, and losing it, getting it back again, then lose it again..... so hovering around the same level.

When do I know that I've beaten 1/2c? Therefore think about moving up?

Thanks for your opinion
  • 8 replies
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      You can try around 150$.

A way to move up is to do a really good table selection for bad opposition and play just a couple of tables so u can get used to the new limits and betsize and get rid of scared money problems. Set yourself a buy in limit so if you use a couple Buy ins just go back and try a little later.

You could also grind until you have a nice amount so you shouldn't be required to step down (the 250 you mentioned).

I used the first method, but if you are unlucky on the first couple of tables you can easily have to grind for another week to put your bankroll back when it was.

Just don't tilt and step down the limit when necessary you can't always succed in the first try and if you'll need longer you'll have more experience.
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      i only move up limits when i have played at least 25000 hands at that limit, i have at least 35 buy ins for the next limit and i have a nice winrate for my current limit.

once those 3 boxes are checked i will move up the limits!

:f_cool:

Good luck!

ps.

At 1/2c, I keep making some money, and losing it, getting it back again, then lose it again..... so hovering around the same level.

This looks to me that you are not ready yet to move to the next limit. :f_frown: try:

:club: Read the articles again ... always good to reread them to refresh your memory.. maybe do it before a session :f_grin:

:club: Watch a few videos ... order a pizza and watch a session back while you have your dinner! Boosts your energy from the pizza and your knowledge about poker at the same time :s_o:

:club: Post the hands that you lose in the hand evaluation forum and get different opinions on how you played it. This will improve your game a lot. :f_biggrin:

Never give up :f_love:
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Move up when you feel like it.

While wow moves up with 35BI I move up with 22-25 BI and see how it goes.

Its just whenever you feel confident.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      I move up with 50 buy ins :f_cool:
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      The most important thing is that you have beaten your current limit - you should have a steady winrate over at least 20,000 hands. If you are playing breakeven poker and building your bankroll by bonuses etc then it doesnt matter how many BIs you have, you will get crushed at the next limit.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by wowadvisor
      :club: Watch a few videos ... order a pizza and watch a session back while you have your dinner! Boosts your energy from the pizza and your knowledge about poker at the same time :s_o:
      :heart: article worthy imo.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Thanks for the excellent posts.

Is it necessary at this stage to consider using Table Tracker? Or other software such as Calculatem Pro? Probably not worth it right now correct?
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      no need yet.

Get it for NL25+ or so. Because then the price of the software is just like 1-2BI, right now it would just make too much of a hole into your BR