RahXephon1 - Now playing NL50 with 100BB - Force of Will

• RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      Rah's SSSblog - 10.9.2009

Hello everyone I decided to start a blog to better monitor my progress in the poker world. So first the obligatory introduction.

My name is Andrej, I'm from Slovenia and I am 29 years old. I work for a construction company as the assistant of the boss at a building site. I have been doing this job for the last 3 years. I'm also studying parttime so hopefully next year I'll become a civil engineer. I'm living with my girlfriend Tjaša and our cat.

My passions are foosball (table soccer), Magic the gathering (which is getting the short straw since I've been playing poker), partying and good music (mostly electronic but I'm much more interested in quality than in genre). I'm competitive by nature so poker is a obvious fit.

My first steps in poker where a couple of years ago. I deposited 50 dolars on a site and started playing. I made it to 150$ playing BSS on NL10 and NL20 (I thought at the time it was a pretty conservative BRM). Because I never really studied the game I grew bored with it, never could focus on the game when I was playing and in a couple of months let go poker completely. I sometimes thought about playing again, maybe even logged on for an evening, but I felt I was just forcing myself to do something I didn't really want.

3 months ago a friend mailed me with the PS offer of a staring capital and I kinda reluctantly decided to give a try. Luckily PS never asked for an Id check since I'm sure I would be to lazy to provide it. I read the articles briefly and started playing on Full tilt. I played some BSS some unoptimal SSS and slowly donked away my capital till I got 70c left. Of course I read the BRM article but I thought I don't need to follow it that strictly since I already beated NL 10 and have a buffer capital on the other site (around 60$ left). But still I decided to not let go, reread SSS articles and played the lowest possible limit table with my whole bankroll. Luckily I didn't get sucked out and managed to double the initial amount and slowly build a bankrol for NL2 (10 dollars J).

At that time I finally installed Elephant, the equilator and started reading Xarry2 and Gerv's blog. When I finally figured out what is a hand range, inserted some of my hands in the equilator and started to think about poker in that way a whole new galaxy opened in front of me. For the first time I realised I don't have a clue in poker and that was the thing that made me obsessed.

Well that should be enough for the introduction I hope you didn't all fell asleep while reading it. In the next few days I'll post the second part with BR, graphs (if I manage to repair PT3 that died yesterday) and some goals.
  • 236 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      T2, T1, T1.5 or Ext.? :D
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      Hello everyone!

I was on a hiatus for the weekend since I was on a foosball tournament on saturday and then there was a two day electronic music festival in my town (with open air stages all over it) with people from all over Slovenia.

Last week my PT3 crashed and I managed to repair it only yesterday, so in them meantime I played some SNGs and Heads up. It wen't around breakeven but I really missed cash games.

Yesterday i finally managed to play and it went terrible, the worst session ever. I lost 18BI (2000 hands). I don't feel I tilted I just never managed to win a pot and had negative winnings with AA/KK/QQ/AK. I also raised people with 30%PFR with jacks and they had AA every single time, same story with blind battles. I was running really good on NL25 and now the last two weeks are undone :f_cry:

Now i'll hope I'll manage to recoup some of these losses or I'll need to move down to NL10, which honestly I never immagined I'll need to do. Also I'll review yesterday session very carefully to see if i made any really stupid move which I wasn't aware at the time.

@Gerv: not much lately, but I should be playing T2 since we have national championships in two weeks and first three places qualify for worlds with a 1k$ guaranteed which should cover expenses since the WC is in Rome this year.

Gl at the tables!
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      I want to play T2 too when Lorwyn rotates out but I can suggest the following (rogue) decks:
      - Warp World if the Meta isn't counter-heavy
      - Sanity Grinding if the Meta isn't Cascade-Swans heavy ;)

- Gerv
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      As of this week Warp world wouldn't work anymore since they changed the rules in regard to token ownership :s_biggrin: .

I've been tinkering arund with a uwr deck with a friend, that seems nice for this creature heavy metagame. I can send it to you when I'll see if it's any good.
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze

Time for an update :s_biggrin:

This week I have been playing the usual volume around 1500 hands a day. My July graphs looks pretty poor, but I'm recovering from the session where I lost 18BI. Hopefully I'm done with the shocks for this month and can have a July in green numbers.

Bankrol: 232,81

The most interesting thing for me in this graph are the Non-showdown winnings which I improved greatly during last month. It was mostly from studying Xarry2's posts on stealing and restealing. It also made playing much more fun since now I constantly evaluate opponents stats in late position and need to revaluate many hands that are automatic folds in basic SSS.

One thing I really wish to try is a sweat session. I saw is possible to give someone remote view to your desktop and then he can comment on your play live. I'd really love to try this once, because it seems an incredible learning tool and you can discuss all the interesting spots. If someone with more SSS experience would be willing to do that with me I would be eternaly grateful :f_love: . Of course if a beginner wants me to take a look at his play, I can surely find an hour.

Ok, so a blog is meant to be a learning tool and this blog lacks in one really important thing GOALS!

So here they are in no specific order:

*reread silver and gold SSS articles on PS print them after rereading them [30%]

*finish reading Harrington on cash games vol.1 [ ]

*arrange a sweat session [ ]

*post as many hands possible in the evaluation forum. Analyze them before posting with the equilator and Xarry's chart collection (in my opinion the really best tool for a SSS player) [ ]

*get to a 500$ bankroll and start with NL50 [ ]

*start writing notes on opponents during play [ ]

*reread Xarry2's and Gerv's blogs [ ]

*play some BSS on low limits and start reading BSS articles to get as much experience as possible [ ]

That's it for now, I hope is not too hectic and boring to read and that my writing will get better over time.

Have a nice weekend!
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      Magic, anime and poker. I approve.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      WWorld is still viable, I didn't read anything of the differnt stack change etc...???

My decklist is actually R/G Ramp with WW attached (BBElf, Siege-Gang, Dragons)

The combo WW is only 4 cards so there is no drawing engine so I might take something off for Mulldrifter or some kind of draw engine
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze

Wooo-Hooo!!!

I can't believe it's only 5 days since I updated the blog, it surely seems like forever. A million thing happened in between, poker and non-poker related.

I changed building site at my work, so now I'll have to work around 11-12 hours a day because we must finish this building until the 15th of Avgust. This weekend I'm also moving to another flat so I went from a lot of spare time to almost nothing. This also mean no vacation for me (well at least until september).

This weekend I had the sickest upswing and managed to raised my bankroll to around 370$, then I played terrible for two days so I'm nov on
      314,74$

This is still a 50% bigger bankroll than one week ago, but I'm much more concerned in the reasons for swings like that. This weekend I really feel great while playing and the money was just growing like crazy. In this last two days however I felt the same game was not providing the results. It probably also had to do something with the fact that I seemed to play against many regulars and that this weekend I saw the fishiest opponents ever.

The most important thing however is that my game is very far from what it was just a week ago. I call down every postflop hand even against the right odds or don't lay down a hand when is not the best hand anymore. some of this is surely because my head is not 100% in poker at the moment and some is because i probably thought those couple of great sessions meant I was much better than before. Hopefully I'll manage to turn this around and return to more solid play.

Well that'll be it for now. I'll try to post some graphs later in the week, hopefully review some of the hands from the last sessions and put them on the hand evaluation forums. After i finish painting the walls of the new apartment of course :f_eek:

Have a nice day!!!
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze

Hello my loyal readers (I hope someone actually does)!

July is ending and it's time for a recapitulation. My schedule is very hectic at the moment, since I'm doing 11 hours shifts at work, I'm moving to another apartment (which involves painting walls, packing boxes, carrying boxes to the 3rd floor and driving around like crazy). The time for poker is very scarce, but I manage to find 1-1,5 hours before going to bed. i don't however have time to study or watch videos so I'm kinda stuck in the improvement section.

Bankroll is at 452,30$ so it wen't 130$ up in the last 9 days which is good. I'm really not happy with my play though. I dicovered I'm a freaking calling station, I can't fold anything postflop, when my opponent reraises me I always think he's bluffing and call him down with overcards. I really need to work on this because I suspect it's greatly affecting my winrate.

My goal for next month is NL50, I already have the bankroll to start playing it, but I will wait for a time when I won't be under so much pressure from real life as I am now.

P.S. I know some people really hate FT but for now, I'm very happy with it, rakeback is nice, I always have enough tables to play on, their software updates constantly (it's true that there are some issues, but they try to repair them as quickly as possible) and yesterday I was greeted with an unexpected bonus of 100$ which i'll probably clear in about a week and will probably use to get a PT3 license.

Cya at the tables guys.
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze

Hello everyone!

Yesterday I made my first try on NL50. It didn't go to well and I lost 6BI (1000 hands/6-8 tables). That in itself is not really a problem, I'm more concerned because the games felt really hard for me. When I started on NL25 I just needed some time to adapt to the betsizes from NL10, but basically I never felt the difference. On NL50 in noticed this things.

-people adapted really quickly to my steal range, on NL25 I could steal at will agains many opponents, here even tight regulars adapted quickly

-people constantly attack my blinds, it surely didn't help I was always card dead in the blinds and couldn't stop them. I reraised with nothing a couple of times but it only went so so

I still have another 10BI buffer before being required to move down, so hopefully it will get a little bit better.

I also checked my goals I set in July and I'm still a long way from realising them, hopefully I'll have some more time now that I finally finished moving.

Cya around
      Andrej

P.S. I'm still trying to arrange a sweat session with another SS-er playing on similar limits. If anyone is interested, please contact me on Skype or mail

mail andrej(dot)rizner(at)gmail.com
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hey man, I just saw your blog. Nice 1 by the way =D

I've added you on skype but I don't think I've ever seen you online yet. Our time zones are probably many hours away from each other.
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      I'm usually online from 7PM to 11PM european central time, that would be 1pm-5pm ET. On weekends we can arrange another time zone.
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze

Hello everyone, here is the first post since I'm in my new appartment and playing with air condition is surely a nice change ;) .

It's been a week now since I'm playing NL50 and I have been breakeven over a sample of 11k hands. Because of bonus and rakeback my bankroll stands at a devilish 666.13$. I'm slowly getting used to have +/- 100$ one and a half hour sessions.

I have also rewieved some of my plays after a long time and I still can't let hands go down. I really need to tighten up post flop.

I have a question for other SSS-ers about the tracking software. Is it possible for PT3 to display positional stats for players? HEM seems so nice in that departement and I think that's incredibly important for SSS to make accurate decisions. I can't find how to make them display in the HUD. I would like to continue playing with PT3, but if he can't do that I feel I'll have to change.

Yesterday I installed Mikogo an it seems very simple to use, so I am eager to make a sweat session or two, anyone interested can contact me sometime in the evenings.

Have a nice day!
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze

Good morning to everyone. The last three days were really nice regarding poker. I seem to be finally acustumed enough to NL50. I mostly had green sessions so my bankrol now stays at a record 808,6$. I'm also on an upswing for the first time since I got PT3 and my green line is above the blue one.

I'm pretty satisfied with my preflop play, but I'm still much insecure about postflop. I play very agressively, raising most of the pots where I was the preflop agressor and it's working solidly, but sometimes when I'm slowplayed by monsters I question my play and think if I should see some hints that something is going on, or is that just a byproduct of the strategy.

Well have a nice day, I hope you are enjoying your summertime (well at least those who are not from brasil :) ). I'm spending my days at my job so I didn't have any time to relax. Hopefully I'll get some vacation in september and the weather will hold till then.
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze

I have a question for other SSS-ers about the tracking software. Is it possible for PT3 to display positional stats for players? HEM seems so nice in that departement and I think that's incredibly important for SSS to make accurate decisions. I can't find how to make them display in the HUD. I would like to continue playing with PT3, but if he can't do that I feel I'll have to change.
      Hey Andrej,
      Nice blog :)
      I emailed you, so make sure you check it haha..
      Also, I don't think that it is possible for PT3 to display what you want in the HUD... I think it is available through custom reports, but I'm not sure. Also, I'm pretty sure that PokerAce HUD can do it through the pop-ups.
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze

Hello everyone. I had a sweat session friday with Brian997 and it was pretty nice. He really put a lot of effort in it and we reviewed around 20 hands at the end and I posted the most interesting of them in the hand evaluation forum. So thank you for your time Brian and this week I can watch you.

Other than that results for the last week are pretty bad. My bankroll sits at 740.00$ and I don't seem to be able to have a green session anymore. I'm breakeven in my first 20 000 hands on NL50, but I have a feeling that if that trend will continue I'll be in red soon. The thing that angries me the most is that I sometime have such terrible players at my table (35%+ vpip) and still can't do any real profit. I also don't feel I have been particularly unlucky with my flips, maybe just a little card dead. Off course you just need a couple of hands that turn in a different way to have a nice graph but still...

I guess for now I'll just have to play and reevalute everything at the end of the month with a bigger sample.

That's it for today, have a nice day.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Thanks for your post on my blog, Rah,

I've messaged you on skype.

I am struggling a bit with the idea of buying HH - internally. I don't have a strong belief that it's unethical but I'm just not sure if i want to do it myself. Also many of the sites don't allow it and I'm not much of a rule breaker - too much of a conformist :) I would hate to build up a nice BR and then have the site just close my account and confiscate my $...

Well, 'immenselly' isn't a word, but 'immensely' is, which is close enough ;)

Hope to hear from you soon,
      Tim
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      We could talk some after Xarry's coaching today if you have time.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Are you getting my msgs in SKype? I might have time now, msg me there. Seeya
      Maybe Tim can join us as well