[NL2-NL10] A5s NL25

• raun
      raun
      Bronze
      wrong to fire a 2. barrel? and if no, should i just have pushed?

villain unknown

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (CO) ($5.23)
      Button ($25.88)
      SB ($9.70)
      BB ($5.17)
      UTG ($5)
      UTG+1 ($3.90)
      MP1 ($31.43)
      MP2 ($26.63)
      MP3 ($14.89)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5, A
      5 folds, Hero bets $0.75, 1 fold, SB calls $0.65, 1 fold

Flop: ($1.75) 8, 4, 3 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1, SB calls $1

Turn: ($3.75) J (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2, SB raises to $4, Hero calls $1.48 (All-In)

River: ($10.71) 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $10.71 | Rake: $0.53
  • 6 replies
    • BlitzkriegBaron
      BlitzkriegBaron
      Bronze
      Well I'm no expert on steals but since this is NL25 one should probably stick to the basics. So no I wouldn't double-barrel here unless I have something of a read on him or something like high fold to c-bet stat.

Since you don't seem to have any keep it basic and check-fold flop.

Was villain maybe slowplaying monster pockets?
    • HoroHoro
      HoroHoro
      Bronze
      I'm also not too familiar with steals yet either, but I think the flop and turn play play is fine.

On the flop, against a single opponent who checks to him he raised out on a bluff.

On the turn you now have the nut flush draw, which in the strategy it indicates "If you raised before the flop, you also try to go all-in with OESDs and flush draws.", which is what he did.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey raun,

c-bet is standard also at steal attempts, so flop was well played.

On the turn, you get additional outs, so you probably have 15 outs(counting As and 2s as well as flush draw). And since this is steal attempt villains are more likely to call your c-bet on the flop easily, so second barrel should give you pretty high FE and with lot of outs this is for sure profitable. However, raising other amount than all-in when you have less than potsize left makes no sense, so just push turn.

Regards,
      burek2000
    • BlitzkriegBaron
      BlitzkriegBaron
      Bronze
      Originally posted by burek2000
      And since this is steal attempt villains are more likely to call your c-bet on the flop easily,

If this is true then why c-bet with trash in the first place? As stated I don't know much about stealing so could you perhaps explain the whole c-bet on steals theory please?

P.S. I would have to say that he has at most 13 outs on turn since you can't count the aces, 5 kicker is no good
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BlitzkriegBaron
      Originally posted by burek2000
      And since this is steal attempt villains are more likely to call your c-bet on the flop easily,

If this is true then why c-bet with trash in the first place? As stated I don't know much about stealing so could you perhaps explain the whole c-bet on steals theory please?

P.S. I would have to say that he has at most 13 outs on turn since you can't count the aces, 5 kicker is no good
      When you steal you raise your hand like any other from the starting hands chart, so you also have to play it same way and thus continue the preflop aggression on the flop with c-bet as if you would if you had AJ(a standard raising hand from SHC from late position). However, because you are openraising late position you might get less respect for your raise and c-bet, but against unknown opponent you should still play this way as you don't know if/how much your FE with c-bet is decreased.

Another thing, when you have a FD/OESD you should go broke with any hand you raised with, so hero should go broke on the turn with FD.

Considering A being an out, I think it's very likely clean if you get called, because I find it very unlikely for villain to call 2 barrels with Ax and have you dominated.

I hope this explains a little, but if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
    • BlitzkriegBaron
      BlitzkriegBaron
      Bronze
      Thanks for the explanation :) yeah with so many outs on the turn you have to go broke