partypoker beginners table prelflop isolation

• shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      I'm currently playing the $0.02/$0.04 no limit holdem tables (6 at a time) and buy in with $2 which is the minimum, most players have $5 and there's usually one or two with $10+ lol

after a few hundred hands (couple of hours), i've bumped my $50 up to $58

but I feel i have wasted many good hands in position by misbetting preflop.

e.g in one table i will raise 3x bb with AA on cutoff but everyone will fold! whilst in another, i will raise 4x with AK/AQ in middle after a few limpers and everyone will call!

then i get pissed off, and raise 5x to try and isolate people with midhigh pockets e.g 10's and JJ and no surprise everyone folds.

its partly poor play, and perhaps 6 tables means i can't read aswell (but at these low limits it should be pretty standard play right?)

what's your take on flop play too? should i slowplay, because whenever i apply aggresion with a monster people fold, though i can't afford to let 3 other players have the turn for free!

there are extremely bad players in these beginners tables, and whilst i'm winning there's much to be improved upon, what's your thoughts on how?

here's an example of how loose these tables are and very volatile too!

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (9 handed) - Party-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

CO ($5)
      UTG ($5.90)
      Button ($1.97)
      MP2 ($5.85)
      UTG+1 ($6.26)
      MP3 ($7.59)
      Hero (MP1) ($1.94)
      BB ($5)
      SB ($1.83)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 4, 4
      2 folds, Hero calls $0.04, MP2 calls $0.04, 3 folds, SB calls $0.02, BB checks

Flop: ($0.16) 4, 9, K (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.08, MP2 raises $0.16, 2 folds, Hero raises $0.36, MP2 calls $0.28

Turn: ($1.04) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.68, MP2 raises to $5.37 (All-In), Hero calls $0.78 (All-In)

River: ($3.96) J (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $3.96
      Main pot: $3.96 between MP2 and Hero, won by MP2

Results in white below:
      Hero had 4, 4 (full house, fours over Jacks).
      MP2 had 9, J (full house, Jacks over nines).
      Outcome: MP2 won $7.68
  • 6 replies
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      I would recommend to raise 5BB on beginners table since you will get called anyway.
      When you got premium hand you want people to call. It will be more difficult to win since your equity will decrease with every player (still your equity with quality hands will be superior over their trash hand). On the other hand the pot is getting bigger with every limper which is good.
      As you get more callers you are getting better pot odds with superior equity. You don't have to win every time because when u hit the flop you win more.
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      Please re-read the articles - buying in for 2$ is not a shortstack strategy and is not a bigstack strategy - you're not benefitting from the pros they offer. Limping pocket fours like in example might be a decent move with 100BB because of good implied odds, but is a very poor move with 50BB because you can't call a standard raise for set value.

So after you chose what strategy you want to follow in the beginning (on NL4 BSS is the only way to go), I recommend you to raise always to 4BB + 1BB per limper no matter what hand you hold and no matter what position you're on. On the flop it's also very simple - you hit you bet, you don't hit - you don't bet, unless you're the preflop aggressor and are up against only one opponent. Those are just the basic rules from the basic articles - and they are enough to beat NL4.
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      Originally posted by radyan111
      Please re-read the articles - buying in for 2$ is not a shortstack strategy and is not a bigstack strategy - you're not benefitting from the pros they offer. Limping pocket fours like in example might be a decent move with 100BB because of good implied odds, but is a very poor move with 50BB because you can't call a standard raise for set value.

So after you chose what strategy you want to follow in the beginning (on NL4 BSS is the only way to go), I recommend you to raise always to 4BB + 1BB per limper no matter what hand you hold and no matter what position you're on. On the flop it's also very simple - you hit you bet, you don't hit - you don't bet, unless you're the preflop aggressor and are up against only one opponent. Those are just the basic rules from the basic articles - and they are enough to beat NL4.
      i said the table minimum was $2 min

so either i get out of beginners table and drop down to $0.01/$0.02 and play SSS/BSS or increase my buy in for $0.02/$0.04 and play BSS

when you say NL4 do you mean 4 cents?

and i know you're more experienced (silver) but if anyone raised preflop i would have folded 44 anyway! (good or bad move, seems bad from your post)

what do you suggest i do, given my bankroll is $50+ dollars, perhaps i should play BSS in $0.01/$0.02 but this isn't offered on the beginners table (first 45 days) where all the fish are! or is it just as loose, il have a look tomorrow!
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rubysilesia
      I would recommend to raise 5BB on beginners table since you will get called anyway.
      When you got premium hand you want people to call. It will be more difficult to win since your equity will decrease with every player (still your equity with quality hands will be superior over their trash hand). On the other hand the pot is getting bigger with every limper which is good.
      As you get more callers you are getting better pot odds with superior equity. You don't have to win every time because when u hit the flop you win more.
      i see your point, but when i raise that high often my premiums will be wasted because 5bb is too high and 4bb too low! the other times when i do manage to get one/two caller, and i bet on the flop, they will fold and i don't want to slowplay because it's just another card for free! though i will slowplay sometimes to mix it up obvs.

as for flop betting, say i'm holding a monster i'd bet between 50%-70% of pot,
      is this too much?
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      Originally posted by shortfuse
      i said the table minimum was $2 min

>>That doesn't mean much. SSS is designed for playing with 20 big blinds (it even works better with something like 18BB from the mathematical point of view). This means you can't play it profitably with a stack of 50BB. It has nothing to do with the minimum buy-in - if table options don't allow you to buy in for 20BB it essentially means that you can't play SSS there.

so either i get out of beginners table and drop down to $0.01/$0.02 and play SSS/BSS or increase my buy in for $0.02/$0.04 and play BSS

>> What do you mean by "beginners table"? With 50$ you have enough cash to play SSS on NL10 (0,05$/0,1$).

when you say NL4 do you mean 4 cents?

>>Yup

and i know you're more experienced (silver) but if anyone raised preflop i would have folded 44 anyway! (good or bad move, seems bad from your post)

>>It's a good move with your 50Bbb stack, but if you had the full stack of 100bb you could call the raise profitably cause you would have good odds of hitting your set.

what do you suggest i do, given my bankroll is $50+ dollars, perhaps i should play BSS in $0.01/$0.02 but this isn't offered on the beginners table (first 45 days) where all the fish are! or is it just as loose, il have a look tomorrow!
      >> I suggest playing SSS by the chart on NL10 until you make 100$ to start BSS on NL5.

• shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      ok i started playing NL10 buy in $2 playing SSS to the book, but whenever i raise my premiums never get called.

such a fukin waste i think i may play my normal game