[NL20-NL50] NL50 SH QJ in CO

• purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      admittedly didnt have much hands on him but this guy was incredibly aggressive with AF infinity. 19/16/63.
      i wanted to catch a hand against him bec i thought he would multibarrel with A to pay me off. and i was in position too..

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.50(BB) Replayer
      SB ($19.77)
      BB ($69.97)
      UTG ($61.64)
      Hero ($59.58)
      BTN ($59.30)

Dealt to Hero Q:spade: J:club:

UTG raises to $2, Hero calls $2, fold, SB calls $1.75, fold

FLOP ($6.50) 8:heart: J:spade: 5:club:

SB checks, UTG bets $5, Hero calls $5, SB calls $5

TURN ($21.50) 8:heart: J:spade: 5:club: 2:club:

SB checks, UTG bets $16.25, Hero calls $16.25, SB folds

RIVER ($54) 8:heart: J:spade: 5:club: 2:club: J:diamond:

UTG bets $38.39 (AI), Hero calls $36.33 (AI)

i wouldv gladly folded flop if things were looking nasty. but i had TPGK and it was really dry so i thought i could just call his cbet and let him pounce on my weakness.

he second barrelled which made me think a bit, but it was blank, so i decided to see river. pLus there was that fish with 52/8 that was making the pot nice and healthy.
  • 2 replies
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      I don't like the preflop call. QJo plays really badly against a normal UTG raise - you either hit and get a small pot or hit and have to play for a big pot very often being dominated. The only hand I see a loose decent player (and this guy looks decent) possibly raising from UTG that you dominate is JTo. Stay out of these tough postflop spots by just folding preflop.
      If he was raising from CO with a high ATS maybe you could think about calling, but I still prefer to have it suited then atleast for better postflop playability.

Postflop, I think you should give up after the turn barrel. He might stab the flop with air even against 2 players, but to bet on the turn he usually has the J (AJ or KJ) or an overpair, if we think about his UTG raising range. So fold on the turn if you make this preflop call, but don't make it :D
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Preflop is a loose call MP vs UTG with QJo against that guy, he's on the tight side which means with the exception of maybe JTs he will always have a better kicker than yours when you both hit top pair. That means very high reverse implied odds, so you're only playing for straight value and bluff catching value. Given your read i guess that's what you wanted, but keep in mind that most tags will have this very high aggression over small samples almost always, because they only play good hands and they play them all aggressively. I'd recommend not making such plays without having seen a showdown of him multistreet bluffing first, you can't make that read solely based on his AF.

As played you are bluff-catching, which again is fine provided your read is right. You certainly can't fold the flop.

The turn is an awful card for him to 2nd barrel, nor you nor SB is likely to fold anything you called the flop with on that blank card. Which can mean two things : either he really is as dumbly aggressive as you thought, or this time he really has TP+.

The river shove follows the same logic, except it's even thinner. The fact that you called his raise twice puts you exactly on the hand you have, Jx which means you just made trips, or less likely T9/76 which means since you didn't hit you're not calling any bet. There is no way he thinks you're ever folding trips, and he doesn't need to shove to make you fold T9 if he happens to have something like 76 himself. Most people wouldn't be happy with AA in his shoes, as that doesn't really beat anything that will call a river bet unless you somehow slowplayed QQ/KK, and even those might find a fold.

So again either he's really dumb and 3rd barreled that board for kicks, or he's an average tag with QQ+, or he's got the last J with a kicker that likely beat yours. Since you called the previous streets with the assumption that he's just blindly aggressive you can't fold QJ on the river for that price. NH, hope it worked out well.

Be careful with TAGs aggression, it's always there because that's how they play, it doesn't automatically mean that they're aggro monkeys firing blindly all the way.

Hope it helps.