[NL20-NL50] NL50 SH 9Js in SB two pair on flop

• purplefizz
      wat is the proper way to defend your blinds? can i cold call like this? im not sure. but anyway, flop brings top two pair.

villain stats 27/23/65

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.50(BB) Replayer
      Hero ($60.59)
      BB ($49.53)
      UTG ($150)
      CO ($51.22)
      BTN ($47.74)

Dealt to Hero 9:club: J:club:

fold, fold, BTN raises to $2, Hero calls $1.75, fold

FLOP ($4.50) J:heart: 2:diamond: 9:spade:

Hero checks, BTN bets $3.50, Hero calls $3.50

TURN ($11.50) J:heart: 2:diamond: 9:spade: 6:diamond:

Hero bets $8, BTN raises to $35.50, Hero?

i was sure he was cbetting flop, so i let him, planning to raise turn instead. flop was pretty dry anyway and i wasnt afraid of seeing too many turn cards. but now what?
  • 1 reply
    • Fongie
      Defending passively is ok if you feel comfortable postflop and can make a move sometimes on good boards postflop to take down the pot. I'd prefer to 3bet preflop though against such a loose guy and take it down right there.
      (folding is ok too :P )

I think there are two ways to approach this hand. You need to take the initiative either on the flop or on the turn, to avoid letting him go for pot control and you miss value.

I like minraising the flop. Why? Well, this is a BU v Blind situation, so he expects you to make a move sometimes - and this is a good board to because he can't have hit it very often. So he will definately not often be putting you on a good hand here and might even 3bet something like AJ on the flop, in which case you can get it in. Or, he might 3bet/bluff it, or he might just call with overcards, a small pocket..well you get the idea - he won't believe you. This also has the advantage that you can bet the turn first in for a good amount that leaves you with a potsize big enough to shove the river with. This is my preferred move.

You can also c/r the turn, for value and to build a pot for the river. This looks too strong though imo but is certainly doable, and has the advantage of getting to raise a possible 2nd barrel (again steal situation so 2nd barrels are common).

Calling flop donking turn I'm not sure but if you know he's aggressive and raises a lot of donkbets (even on the turn) it can be a good move to confuse him *really* much :f_biggrin: . I think it might lose you some value though if he decies to call you down instead (or fold). If he raises this is what you were trying to accomplish with your donkbet and should be happy getting it in - come on, top 2 is the nutz in this situation ;)

I'd go for minraise flop!