[NL2-NL10] nl10 sh KQs, FD and too fancy play?

• Janosikgdy
      Everest Poker, $0.05/0.10 Hold'em Cash Games, 6 Players
      Hand Converter by Pokerhand.org

kirsky (BB): $16.29
      caribou1 (UTG): $9.70
      Itoute (UTG+1): $13.14
      Ulabrand (CO): $10
      HERO (Button): $11.27
      weirdhand (SB): $19.47

Dealt to HERO K:spade: Q:spade:

(2 folds), Ulabrand calls $.10, HERO raises to $.45, weirdhand calls $.40, (2 folds)

Flop: ($1.10) 5:spade: 4:heart: J:spade: (2 Players)
      weirdhand bets $.70, HERO calls $.70

Turn: ($2.50) 4:club: (2 Players)
      weirdhand checks, HERO bets $1.50, weirdhand raises to $4.50, HERO calls $3

River: ($11.50) 7:diamond: (2 Players)
      weirdhand checks, HERO checks

villian 24/21/1 over 70 hands

he donks, so I call in position to evaluate turn

he showed weakness, I fired. He raises me. And I am lost here, what can he have?
      should I fold, or call? I called, beacuse, of my line maybe he thoughts that i am trying to bluff him?
      DO I play to fancy for nl10? He is a kind tagish player.
  • 2 replies
    • kosmonaut111
      I would fold to his raise on turn. He could hit here FH and you are drawing dead already.
      Your bet on turn is not so bad but I would just check behind.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Tags overcalling your isolation raise of a fish usually have a pocket pair or some other hand that plays well multiway, since they expect the fish to come along and thus think they have good implied odds.

On the flop he has to know that you are going to c-bet it because it's a dry one high card flop, so for him to donk into you he either has

- nothing or some very marginal hand like 88 and he doesn't want to c/c or c/r your c-bet as a bluff. Donking is cheaper if you have air yourself. { naked pocket pairs below JJ, missed overcards }

- a good hand looking to build a pot quickly if you happen to have hit the J. { sets, nut flush draw }

Depending on their playstyle players will react in two ways with their flushdraw :

- you can raise him right on the flop and see what happens. This has the advantage of making it clear to him that donking the flop with garbage isn't an option against you. If he just calls and checks a blank turn you can check behind and get 2 cards for that price. If he just calls and donk again a blank turn you can usually muck it safely. If he 3bets the flop go away too. Given the range i put him on, i would take this option, you can make him fold lots of hands that are currently better than you if he doesn't have a monster.

- you can play it passively and call. This will be less expensive but will leave you in the dark as for his intentions. If he bets again a blank turn depending on pot odds call or fold. If he checks a blank turn that's up to you, either stab at it or check behind depending on how confident you are that he only donked the flop with a weak hand, i don't think either line is a mistake against him.

Of course if you happen to hit your flush on the turn you know how to play it :)

As played when he raises the turn i would dump it, his line is weird and tricky he could probably do that as a bluff too figuring he's exploiting weak opponents at nl10, but with K-high you don't even beat 22 or A-high which he could do that with, this is way too thin at these microstakes. You'll make money playing solid poker, no need to try and catch people bluffing with K-high.

Hope it helps.