[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH AQ play

• kwedaras
      Known players:

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:spade: , A:spade:
      2 folds, BU raises to $0,16, SB folds, Hero raises to $0,52, BU raises to $1,28, Hero calls $0,76.

Flop: ($2,58) 7:club: , Q:heart: , 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2,46, BU raises to $4,57 (All-In), Hero calls $2,11.

Turn: ($11,72) 3:club:
      River: ($11,72) 5:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $11,72

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of queens (Qs As)
      BU shows a pair of kings (Ks Kd)

BU wins with a pair of kings (Ks Kd)

played good or bad ?
  • 3 replies
    • kosmonaut111
      Fold to his 4bet preflop. You are usually behind.
      Postflop: if you called his 4bet preflop, you go broke here (although you are behind very often).
      Your opponent is a TAG and he doesn't 4bet you with worse hands.
    • MaestroOfZerg

You opponent looks like a standard tag, 3betting AQs BB vs BU is obviously fine. When he 4bets you smallish tho, you need a reason to think he's messing with you to continue, because if he is straightforward you are toast against almost anything he does that with. That means postflop play with be very hard when you hit something. I would just fold without that read especially out of position, even for that price.

As played obviously you got almost as good a hand as you could hope for, but by donking into him you're basically telling him that it's time to give up with his bluffs or his whiffed AK, whereas all the hands that beat you will shove over your donkbet.

- If he is bluffing he will c-bet that board most likely, so you only get money if you check to him.

- If he has AK he might or might not c-bet, but even if he doesn't he only has 3 outs against you so giving him a free turn in a 4bet pot is not really a mistake.

- If he has QQ+ you're getting stacked no matter what happens.

So i would start by checking the flop to him and take it from there.

- If he c-bets huge just shove over it and be done with it since you're committed when you call anyway, he might even call off the rest with AK given the odds. If he c-bets smallish that's a pain in the ass, i'd probably just call and see what he does on the turn, unless i feel like a small raise might induce something terribly stupid from him.

- If he doesn't c-bet that's trickier, he likely has either AK or QQ+ and didn't want to scare you off, i think i'd just check it again to give him a chance to bluff again with AK. If he bets i'm taking the same line as on the flop, if he checks behind again i'll bet the river in case he has like JJ or wants to make a hero call with AK-high, and smash my head into a wall before making the call if he shoves.

Obviously there are many variations, i tried to give you the generally idea. Hope it helps.
    • kwedaras
      many thanks. the problem is that i play with trial expired elephant, so i didnt put him on tag style. thanks for the answers, really helped.