SSS First Incursion

• Reptile16
      Reptile16
      Bronze
      Evening folks, I'm going to tell a story.

Having mucked about playing $1 SNGs on FTP and lost $9 of my starting capital I read a few posts and decided to go back to NL5 ring games playing SSS.

[Deep Breath]

So I started tonight having re-read the SSS articles and printed the charts etc. A few hands in I'm dealt KK and follow the instructions going All-in as there was a raise behind me. The other player calls. Predictably enough I'm beaten on the river by trip 8s....

So I re-buy $1, but... stupidly though I don't reload when my stack drops below 15BB. In fact I end up with less than 9 before I'm the BB holding AJo and AJ comes on the flop. Three other people in and they clearly don't put me on this hand and so quickly I'm all-in. Fortunately nothing nore sinister comes on the turn or river and I end up just shy of $2 ($1.88 IIRC).

Again, what I don't do is stand up at this point as I should. I decide I will peg myself as if I have just the 0.88 in play and go from here.

To cut a long-ish story medium-length, once again I find myself with an unspectacular hand (but not one in the starting hand chart) and I'm in the blind. I pull in another pot to take my stack to $3.05. At this point I'm way over the stand up mark for both buy-ins so I stand up.

Reflacting upon the experience, I'll be sticking to the SSS from here on in, because even though I'd like to mix it up and play suited connectors or Ajax for example, the aim is clearly to build the bankroll back and one needs to be ruthless.

Let this be a lesson to anybody who is as green as I am and thinks they know better, I was lucky, not everybody will be....
  • 10 replies
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      KK against 88 is like 80 / 20

you were an 80% favourite to win that hand but sadly you had some bad luck.

if you play 10 000 hands and you get KK against 88 again.. remember you will win 80% of the time if you go all in preflop!

the short stack strategy works if you follow it! just keep going and its a great way to clear bonuses fast, clock up a lot of points and build a bankroll safely :s_cool:
    • Reptile16
      Reptile16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by wowadvisor
      KK against 88 is like 80 / 20
      Just out of interest, how do you work that differential out, other than by testing all probabilities on the board against the pocket cards? I don't need to know but the mathematician in me is interested...

Originally posted by wowadvisor
      you were an 80% favourite to win that hand but sadly you had some bad luck.

if you play 10 000 hands and you get KK against 88 again.. remember you will win 80% of the time if you go all in preflop!

the short stack strategy works if you follow it! just keep going and its a great way to clear bonuses fast, clock up a lot of points and build a bankroll safely :s_cool:
      Thanks for the support. :D
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      I believe the software used for this is called The Equilator. It is available in the downloads section.
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kenthmp
      I believe the software used for this is called The Equilator. It is available in the downloads section.
      yes exactly!

and my hold em manager program also has an equilator in it. and i have been in the exact same situation many times so i already knew it was 80/20 lol :s_cool:
    • Reptile16
      Reptile16
      Bronze
      One last thing. I lost $9 of my SC playing SNGs, as I mentioned in the OP. I have to admit to preferring the SNG format as it appeals to me strategically. At what buy-in level is it recommended beginning SNGs again? This is in the basis that there is too great a risk (not to mention the percentage rake) associated with $1 SNGs [on FTP].

Thanks again to those who have helped me thus far.

:f_cool:
    • Reptile16
      Reptile16
      Bronze
      Hope a bump isn't against forum rules... :D
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Don't play SNGs with more than 10 % fee. I don't know the fee at FTP on the lowest stakes out of my head. If it is 10 %, you can play it, otherwise wait till you have bankroll for $6+0.5.
      You should have 50 buy-ins to play 10man SNGs.
    • Reptile16
      Reptile16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Meiffert
      Don't play SNGs with more than 10 % fee. I don't know the fee at FTP on the lowest stakes out of my head. If it is 10 %, you can play it, otherwise wait till you have bankroll for $6+0.5.
      You should have 50 buy-ins to play 10man SNGs.
      FTP $1 SNG rake is 25%. Thanks for the advice on the 10-man SNGs, what about Multi-table SNGs, same rules?
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      I think most people recommend a 100BI bankroll if you are only playing MTT's.

I'm not sure about what rake recommendations there are for multitables but I find if you look carefully you sometimes find either:

a) Satellites that pay out very easily (like 1 in 4) - these are very easy because a lot of people knock themselves out too quickly and you can almost fold into the cash.

b) Tournaments with big guarantees - these are equally good because although you won't cash in as many as the satellites when you do its much more than your standard tournament payday.

They are the main Tournaments I will play. I play SSS all the rest of the time and just see the tourneys as a bit of fun with the possibility of a nice boost to my bankroll.
    • Reptile16
      Reptile16
      Bronze
      Big thumbs-up SmileyPhil.