SSS late position betsizes

• BlitzkriegBaron
      BlitzkriegBaron
      Bronze
      I've heard a coach talking about adjusting standard bet sizes for late positions in order to gain equity when stealing.

3.5BB for CO & 3BB for BU

Obviously this would be for any hands raised from here. Is there any truth to this and what else should be kept in mind when doing this?
  • 10 replies
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Hi BlitzkriegBaron,

Yes it is possible to make raises in late positions cheaper. It is likely that raising 3bb and 4bb will have the same fold equity so stealing with 3bb makes more sense because...

-When you get reraised its cheaper to make the fold.

-You invest less money to make the same profit.

Ofcourse you then have to raise the same with you Good Hands, otherwise opponents will pick this up and reraise your weaker hand more often :)

If i have missed anything then someone please add something.

Regards,

-Jack
    • sm112
      sm112
      Black
      I openraise 3bb from cutoff and button, have been doing this since I started to play at NL100.
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      i openraise 3bb all the time :f_cool: it works really well for me even though pokerstrategy do not advice this :f_eek: but fish call me a lot more and i take their money :f_cool:
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      betting a different amount in the co is a tell imho. observant blinds will 3bet u light very often particularly if your fold to 3 bet in co is a high %.
    • sm112
      sm112
      Black
      How can it be a tell, if I always openraise 3bb in late position? If they start 3-betting me light, I will start shoving light. I too am observant, you know.
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sm112
      How can it be a tell, if I always openraise 3bb in late position? If they start 3-betting me light, I will start shoving light. I too am observant, you know.
      true true
      it's obviously not a tell
      basically if you open with different amounts from every position doesn't mean that you always OR with 3.5 bbs with AA, 3.6 with AK, 3.2 with KK and so on
    • PoPoVitch
      PoPoVitch
      Bronze
      Resteal and 3 bet will be a lot more often in higher limit, you definitely have to re evaluate your betsize.

I use to play 2.5 bb in sb and bu 3in co, 4 in mp, and 3 in utg.

I isolate someone at 4 bb+1 limper.

A lot of shorstack use minraise or 2.5 bb size bet in nlk, and other just adjust dependings on the situation.

but i'm not sure it's interesting to reevaluate it before nl200.
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sm112
      my reply was too the OP. after all it is his tread.
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      just make sure you do this for all cards, not just steals.
    • wuusaa
      wuusaa
      Bronze
      i raise to 3bb from any position.
      2,5bb from sb when the BB is a shortstack
      2,5bb from button when BB is a shortstack ^^