[NL2-NL10] A2s SH play

• kwedaras
      Known players:

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:diamond: , 2:diamond:
      2 folds, BU calls $0,04, Hero calls $0,02, BB checks.

Flop: ($0,12) 5:club: , 5:diamond: , 9:heart: (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0,06, BU folds, Hero calls $0,06.

Turn: ($0,24) J:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0,17, Hero calls $0,17.

River: ($0,58) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0,28, Hero raises to $1,05, BB raises to $2,78, Hero raises to $4,49 (All-In), BB calls $1,71.

Final Pot: $9,56

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a flush, ace high (Ad 2d)
      BB shows a full-house, nines full of fives (9s 9c)

BB wins with a full-house, nines full of fives (9s 9c)
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

I don't mind completing preflop, folding and raising (if you feel comfortable doing it out of position) are also possible given how wide BU's limping range is.

On the flop i would fold it, we're looking for a flush draw, two pairs or playing carefully a top pair. You don't need to start making A-high calls, especially when there are no draws for you or your opponent to represent.

On the turn your opponent isn't representing much, maybe 9x maybe 5x, maybe some pair figuring that since the board is paired and it's a limped pot you can't have much. I don't think you have much fold equity and since he can't really put your on the flush draw you should be able to make him at least call a bet on the river, so calling the turn with 1 overcard + FD is fine.

On the river i would probably bet out to make sure i get money off 9x and 5x. When he 3bets this makes his line really scary. 1/2 flop 2/3 turn 1/2 river then 3bet a big raise, this looks more and more like the flopped nuts trying to milk you all the way. Even if he can't put you on a flush you can't put him on it either. So you're looking at 5x, maybe a boat 5x since he has any 2 in the BB, another boat with a PP, or some weird backdoored flush too. Being committed and all this probably isn't a big deal either, but i don't think it's necessary to put the last 40bb in given how strong his line looks from a 11/11 tag, so i'd just call.

Hope it helps.