Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $22.15
      BU:
      $25.00

0.5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , J:club:
      4 folds, BU raises to $3.00, SB folds, Hero raises to $9.00, BU calls $6.00.

Flop: ($18.50) T:club: , 2:spade: , T:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $9.25, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $27.75

I felt that, given BU called my resteal, he must have something. I decided not to c-bet because it's hard for me to represent anything on this flop so many hands may be calling me down. Is the rationale ok? Was it alright to miss the cbet out here? Anyone think I should have pushed preflop?
  • 10 replies
    • Aimboy
      Aimboy
      Bronze
      I would just push (yes, this is an edit :D ) preflop against this guy.
    • goldflair03
      goldflair03
      Bronze
      preflop
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      His stealing range is very loose Tim, so he'll have to fold way too many hands on that flop, even if you can't represent much, you AJ is way ahead of his 30% ORL.

You could even perhaps check/raise him there to extract a little more value, I"m not sure about this option though.

I'm often in doubt whether I should make regular raises or direct pushes when re-stealing, could any judge shed some light on this issue? In NL100+ we often have a large enough stack that we can 3bet pre-flop without using nearly 1/2 our stack, and perhaps that could give us a little more room for post-flop play and ++EV moves?
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Well this is true regarding his ORLP range. But surely the range with which he calls a resteal is much tighter? E.g. I might steal with QJs, but I'm not calling a 3x resteal with such a hand...

So, maybe he calls a resteal with 10% (i.e. 33% of the hands with which he steals). If that's about right, I'm no longer that far ahead?

Playing this again, I think I should just push pf as others have said - but I'd be interested in what the judges say regarding your question.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64
      Well this is true regarding his ORLP range. But surely the range with which he calls a resteal is much tighter? E.g. I might steal with QJs, but I'm not calling a 3x resteal with such a hand...
      That's very true. His move is actually a little strange as he is a shortstack and a tight one apparently. I think these 3X raise re-steals are often interpreted as bluff re-steals, which might be the case here, and so he called with a medium strong hand and took a stab after you checked? For that reason I'd be inclined to consider myself ahead, but then again I'm not at all sure, let's wait for the wise ones :D
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Nothing wrong with pushing preflop since your hand is way good enough versus this villain's range. The line: re-raise 3X push ANY flop is better if you are likely to have some FE on the flop.(BTW, you have 0 FE versus any decent player).

Check folding the flop is incomprehensible to me.
    • goldflair03
      goldflair03
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Nunki
      The line: re-raise 3X push ANY flop is better if you are likely to have some FE on the flop.(BTW, you have 0 FE versus any decent player).
      if i have no fe i push preflop and dont let him go away with his crap on the flop

u 3bet 3x against a fish when u dont want that much fe.
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      A push is profitable, here I tried to use Xarry's calculator, I asummed he'll call the resteal with 10% range (one third of his steal range).

EV-Calculator:

Pot 4,5 Potsize right at the point! where you act

effective Stack 20,15 effective Stack at the start! of the respective betting round

Deadmoney 0,5 Deadmoney right at the point! where you act

Equity 45,40% Equity in case you get called (has to be assumed!)

Foldequity 66,00% Foldequity for your move

Blind/Bet 1,00 Amount of money you've invested after the start! of the betting round (Preflop e.g Blinds, Postflop e.g. Bets)

EV 2,60

It's a profitable push and if he calls looser or tighter it gets even more profitable.
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      I think the 3xraise 3bet is fine. But you should follow up with a push on the flop. If he hasn't hit he must fold, and a paired board is perfect with that. Your reraise (although in the perfect resteal position) is always going to make people think of strength and be a little weary, unless they're slow-playing a big hand, or have a pp. [don't throw away your position by checking] I'm sure you're going to get more value out of him this way if he's going to be calling you instead of 4betting (which you'd have to call anyway)..
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Aimboy
      I would just push (yes, this is an edit :D ) preflop against this guy.
      a 3bet OOP should be 3.5x and thats >50% of your stack more or less :)

Both raising 3x or pushing direct has its flaws and advantages ;)

- Gerv