[NL20-NL50] AK NL50 SH c-betting

• VytenisN
      VytenisN
      Bronze
      opponent is unknown, just 3 hands at the table. He folded all of them. However, half stacked, so probably not the best one in the world.
      Should i c-bet this flop ? what about 2nd barreling ?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

MP ($48)
      Hero (CO) ($50)
      Button ($60.45)
      SB ($24.35)
      BB ($50.75)
      UTG ($22.75)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, K
      2 folds, Hero bets $1.50, 1 fold, SB calls $1.25, 1 fold

Flop: ($3.50) 4, 3, 2 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2, SB calls $2

Turn: ($7.50) 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($7.50) J (2 players)
      SB bets $4.50, Hero folds

Total pot: $7.50 | Rake: $0.35
  • 2 replies
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      I just check behind here. You must always think what you want to achieve with a cbet. In general, you either want value, or you want fold equity.

If you want value, you want worse hands to call you. If you want fold equity you want stronger hands to fold.

What stronger hand could he have here? Only pocket pairs. Does he fold any of his pocket pairs? Definitely not, since he either has a set or an overpair.
      What about his weaker hands? Broadways, suited connectors, unnacounted for random crap. He probably folds all of them =)

So with a bet, you make him fold every hand you beat and call every hand that HAS you beat. I just check behind here.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Against a total unknown i'll throw in a c-bet there. He might call with worse Ax with the gutshot, some players will float with broadways. Granted he isn't folding any better hands, but you're in position so that will likely buy you two cards plus some information on how he reacts to c-bets postflop, which will be useful to you given that he's probably going to call a lot behind you in the future if he's bad.

I wouldn't quarrel with anyone advising to check it down tho, it's fine too.

Hope it helps.