[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH T8s

• LuborC
      First of all I would like to thank you Tamairlarace. The first hand you evaluated I played wrong and you managed to explain really well how I could play it better and why. The second hand I played right but you still took the time to add a few suggestions on how to play it even better. This kind of hand evaluation is really extremely helpful. Thank you again.

About this hand.. My hand is not great but his donkbet is usually weak and I would raise it even if I didn't hit the flop at all very often because people almost always fold when I raise their donkbet on the flop. I'm not sure how to interpret the reraise, though. Normally it would be an easy fold but this guy was like uberaggressive (AF inf, over only about 20 hands though).

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

BB ($9.84)
      UTG ($10.71)
      MP ($12.79)
      CO ($10)
      Hero (Button) ($21.98)
      SB ($1.75)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8, 10
      3 folds, Hero bets $0.40, 1 fold, BB calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.85) 8, 2, 4 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.50, BB raises to $3, Hero folds

Total pot: $3.85 | Rake: $0.25
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg

Thanks for the shiny review, i appreciate it.

First of all be careful with the AF stat, as it is somewhat slow to converge and also depends on the guy's VPIP, so it's really not that useful over a 20 hands sample. Unless you've seen him really monkeying around in every hand he played, just consider him as aggressive in the broad sense.

As played on the flop, you have what is likely the best hand right now. Since the board is SO dry he can't really have much here, so by raising the donk you're protecting against overcards, which of course make up a decent part of his donking range. This is a fine line provided you know what you'll do against a 3bet, and this is usually going to be a tough problem.

* If you don't know how aggressive he is, then raising the donkbet and giving him credit if he 3bets is probably the best way to stay out of tricky spots against an unknown, it's not that big a deal either way at these stakes without history, you're better off making a tight fold then spewing off your entire stack in the heat of the moment.

* If you're positive that this guy is insanely aggro, i don't like raise/folding that flop. He can't represent much by 3betting on this board (22/44/99+ about sums it up), most of the time he'll have air, in which case you're probably raise/calling in position with top pair and taking it from there. The likely outcome would be you calling him down for your entire stack if he bets and checking it down if he doesn't follow up with his bluffs. Which is why you need to be sure about his level of aggression.

* If you think he's just moderately aggro in steal situations altogether, raise/calling probably isn't a mistake either, but i would expect most of those guys not to fire again on the turn, so i would check/fold the rest of the way.

Hope it helps.
    • LuborC
      Yeah, it kind of helps.. It pretty much sums up what I was thinking. I was really tempted to get it in on the flop but I'm kind of trying to stay away from these spots where I can't really put the opponent on a range and don't really know what to do and staying in the hand would cost me the entire stack..

I didn't know AF depended on the VPIP, though. What is AF then and how is it calculated? I sort of view it as some kind of abstract number which somehow represents how aggressive the player is but don't know how to interpret it exactly to be honest..
    • maya1984
      AF = (# of bet + # of raise) / (# of call)
      For example if you played 10 hands, folded 8 them, called a bet twice,raised a bet twice and bet twice in the two hands that you played, your AF will be 2+2/2 = 2.

Btw this also explains how can AF could be infinity. This happens when a player haven't made any calls. The denominator of the equation (# of calls) is 0 in this case thus the equation is x/0 = inf