Can someone skip big blind

• lvainu
      lvainu
      Bronze
      Hi All

Hopefully someone can clarify a disagreement between my self and poker buddies.

We play TEXAS HOLDEM NL cash tournament. Everyone puts in $20 into the pot and the winner takes the pot. Everyone takes turns at dealing. We do not have a dedicated dealer.

We had a scenario where the person in Big Blind (Bob’s seat) went all in and was eliminated. We then Moved the Dealer button to the left (Alana’s seat) and had a dead small blind (Bob’s old seat) and a normal big blind. (Kim’s seat)

No one was eliminated and we moved to the next hand and we moved the Dealer button to the empty seat (Bob’s old seat) and had a dead dealer and the person who was Big Blind (Kim) is now small Blind and Big Blind moved to left. (Paul’s Seat)

Because we do not have a dedicated dealer the person who dealt in the previous hand dealt again (Alana).

I believe this is correct but some people who play online argued different.

They said with online Poker games the following happens.

In the exact same scenario above instead of having a dead small blind (Bob’s old seat) the small blind now moves to the left (Kim’s Seat) and Big Blind to the left. (Paul’s Seat) What this means is Kim misses out on Big blind.

I don’t think this is correct because now Kim only plays a small blind and not a big blind. Can someone skip a big blind or small blind? I was told no one can ever skip big blind and someone can never be big blind twice and this soulds fare to me.

Hopefully someone can clarify :D
  • 3 replies
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      What you did was correct, it is impossible to skip blinds because it would be just unfair.
    • AussieIan
      AussieIan
      Bronze
      it does skip at times on some websites (i have no idea why), but what you did was correct, no one should ever miss paying the big blind
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello lvainu,

It depends on the house rules.

We used to always play that the dealer button moves to the now empty seat, and that people continue posting their blinds in order. This can result in not posted small blinds - but ensures that people don't get to skip the big blind - or have to pay the blinds twice in a row.

On some poker sites this is enforced the same way and on some it isn't. At I believe PokerStars, it is actually possible that you can skip the big blind since they simply move the dealer button to the next person that is still in.

Its basically up to the house rules though to decide which format they prefer ;)

Best regards
      SoyCD