Your tips on getting started at Party Poker

• SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Dear Party Poker players,

even as an experienced player one can run into all kinds of problems when first trying a new poker room.

Its twice as hard when one is actually still a newcomer to poker and has perhaps just learned the rules and basic strategies.

This is why we want to use this thread to collect tips for new players. What kind of problems did you have when registering your account at Party Poker and how did you solve them? What should one pay special attention to at Party Poker, what is worth doing, what is especially recommendable and what should be avoided?

We hope for an active discussion and are awaiting your experiences.

Thank you and good luck
      SoyCD
  • 28 replies
    • HoroHoro
      HoroHoro
      Bronze
      I'm not sure if this is still the case, but when I first got my starting capital at Party Poker I wanted to play primarily in 10 man SnG tournaments.

The amount of points that are generated from each tournament was so small that I had to switch over to SSS to ensure that I met the release requirements on the starting $50, as well as received the extra $100.

With only 2 party points generated for every $1 in tournament rake, unlocking any bonus was a daunting task.
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      use the quickseat feature if you are a multitabler with preferred seating. In a few clicks you can have any amount of tables open and ready for you! :f_love:

in the "preferences" tab are also different themes and card decks and also little features such as : to automatically sit down at a table with any amount of BB and a hot hand feature which alerts you when you have a certain hand!

:f_love:
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      Register with the correct bonus code, or you'll end up like me. I created a Play money account to try the platform out, then got the PS offer for a second starting capital. I had to create a new account in order to get the bonus, but first I had to get rid of my old account (despite it's play money) because one person cannot register two accounts. I send them at least 3 e-mails asking to delete my play money account, but always got the same robotic response "deposit now, fish, etc etc".

Also, when using Elephant (software provided by PS) you must mark "use new Partypoker layout" (or "old" or something like that) in it's preferences or else you won't get to see the stats of the opponents.

Had no problems cashing out of Party so far :)
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      If your a cash game player please make sure that you do not sit down with your whole bankroll at a table because you lose your bonus if you have less than $1 in your account. It's just annoying to have to get 300 partypoints then send PokerStrategy Support an email to get your bonus re-instated.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      do not sit down with your whole bankroll at a table because ...

Three things that don't need explaining:

1) Don't talk to strangers;
      2) Help out your mom;
      3) Don't sit down at a table with your whole bankroll.

P.S. Sorry, I couldn't resist :f_frown:
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      if you are new on party poker - there are great bankroll builder tournaments, like around 19:50 CET, 21:50 CET and 01:50 CET.

Besides that you have two great NL freerolls - $300 at 12h CET and $100 at 21h CET or so. If you are a Fixed Limit player - there is one $100 freeroll at 16:50 CET or so and one later at night, around 03:50 or so.

NL SSS is probably the safest way to work your way up on PartyPoker lower stakes, just pick your tables according to the strategy articles on ps.com :)

Regarding the party points, I kinda have to disagree on SnG being bad for accumulating them - if you feel comfortable playing SnG, it's actually quite easy to get points there since you dont waste time on table selection and there is always action so you never need to wait for some new table to pop up :)
    • Nosssweat
      Nosssweat
      Bronze
      I have just moved from SSS to SnGs and have been getting more points from playing these (and making more money too) think its because i feel better multi-tabling on SnGs
    • drdrab
      drdrab
      Bronze
      I was bad and went into BSS straight after a week of losing money on sng's and SSS, mainly because you see more flops to get party points and because it's a better strategy for me personally and I haven't looked back.

In my month since signing up I'm at about 120 partypoints and have $132. I gotta say, I was playing pokerstars before finding Poker Strategy but I do actually prefer Party Poker, which sounds like it's completely against the grain here but oh well I'm making money and enjoying learning about it.
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by drdrab
      I was bad and went into BSS straight after a week of losing money on sng's and SSS, mainly because you see more flops to get party points and because it's a better strategy for me personally and I haven't looked back.
      Hi,

you also get partypoints if you fold and other people play the hand and it gets raked.

You just need to have received hole cards! :f_cool:
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      In my opinion, don't.
      PartyPoker, for me, has way too many bugs. There has been many times when I've pressed the call/raise button, only to have partypoker freaze, me time out, and my hand folded.

You also get those nits that use the disconnection protection to their advantage, which can be very very annoying.

I don't know, Maybe my influence is bought on from being 8BI's below EV at partypoker, but I really don't like the site all that much.
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Turn off all that animations if you decide to use new table graphics.
      Nl10 is ok for beginners, great learning limit, but it sucks for PS newcomers (1500 hands played at NL10 will get you 15 points tops)
      Don't chase promotions they will eat you up. During promotions watch yourself from suckouts, ppl tend to call anything with anything.
    • MikeyH
      MikeyH
      Bronze
      If you are using tracking software do not run PartyPoker on Windows7 64bit (not sure about 32bit). It will decide at random on startup whether it will save your hand histories for that session.

I installed XP as a second OS just to run PartyPoker (I didn't want to miss out on the bonus after depositing $400). Party emailed me saying they are not concerned with issues related to Windows7 until it becomes an official release.
    • miraculix250
      miraculix250
      Bronze
      tipps for starting at partypoker? easy!

look for another site!

not only are there connection problems relatively often, the site just feels .... well..... rigged.... yes, its not and blabla, but i hate it

in 10k hand 14 stacks under EV, this morning within 10 minutes 3 lost AA... vs Q3s preflop AI (ok!), Q7o c/r AI a flop of 7JK after i isoraised this limper (even better), and finally the incredible rivered tripps (the way AJo beats AA on a 73J board :) )

and it is a fact, that this fish instaleaves the tables after sucking out on you ;)

bah, how i hate this site... :D

sorry pokerstrategy, enough PP for me

back to riverstars... there i can calculate the suckouts and know how to handle the AotR :D

edit: to finish my whining-story above.... i was lucky!!! i not only got 3 aces, i got them 5 times in this wonderfull 15 minute session... the other 2 times i only got the blinds (and was happy about this result :f_p: )
    • bbogdanmircea
      bbogdanmircea
      Bronze
      The only good thing about Party Poker...related to other sites is that u have a very low deposit and cashout limit. So if u feel like going down u can cashout all your remaining money and maybe start up from scratch on a better site...compared to ther sites where the minimum cashout is 50$ so you have either to lose it all or to play until you lose it all...
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      - Don't listen to people wining about bad beats or pp being rigged.

- There are all sorts of mods and ahk-scripts available, you can change the appearance of tables and use ahk-scripts for eg using hotkeys (like mouse wheel) to alter the bet-size.

- If you don't like the sounds, you can replace them too, or delete some. Search for .wav files somewhere in the installation folder. That 'bet-sound' used to trigger some tilt with me :tongue: , listening to it over and over again. I replaced some sounds with friendlier sounds from other platforms.

- I'm playing the micro nl 6max tables, they are really soft (somehow I never seem to win big at fr tables). Previously 6max started at 25NL, now at 2NL I think.

- I found the support really good (at least for regular players).

- You can play a lot of tables at once if you want to.

- No experience with a bugs for me (anymore). In the past there were some freezes.

- I just started playing again, but in the past I got a lot of deposit bonuses.
      Cash out a part of your br you won't immediately need and redeposit it when you have such a bonus offer. Moneybookers + PP works fast for me.

- For newcomers (and also in general): don't go and sit out of position to somebody that plays nearly every hand. They will call your raises and bets with all sorts of hands and suck out a lot. This is very tilt-breeding. Go sit in position to them and you have a goldmine. A lot of these guys there!

greetz
    • kennyxx
      kennyxx
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MikeyH
      If you are using tracking software do not run PartyPoker on Windows7 64bit (not sure about 32bit). It will decide at random on startup whether it will save your hand histories for that session.
      I'm running Win7RC 64b and never had problem like that. I'm using PT3.

I left Partypoker recently cause I had laggy connection to their server, but not sure where the real problem was...

• Many promotions, deposit and non deposit bonuses.
      • Software is good for multitabling, many scripts available (as Ka0s mentioned before).
      • Very annoying default attention sound when using old layout
      • You can easilly create Your own skin, but You have to backup it and renew it after nearly every update. Party is also renaming some files time to time -> wasting time with skin instead of playing. But if You like their default skins...
      • As many other sites, level and number of players vary during day. You can download the software and check if it suits to You without registering. I recomend to do so.
      • Hold'em stakes, even SH, starting on very low limits, but lowest PLO limit is PLO25
      • And no, PP is NOT rigged imo

Compared to other sites, Party is somewhere between Stars and iPoker clients for me
    • AugustusCaesar
      AugustusCaesar
      Bronze
      I have some tips for the beginners :
      -> Do NOT play SnGs there .. The rake is just sick on 1$ and 3$ SnGs ..
      -> If you want to use elephant with the new tables, you need to check a box in Elephants options screen
      -> Nice table resizing, good for multitabling
      -> Very user friendly software, nice design

-> I have a pretty sick problem with cashing out - I deposited my own money without problem, but when I wanted to cashout, they needed me to call them, but they have no number for my country, than they wrote me they will call me and they did not, so I still cannot cashout and their support just keeps replying me with the same dumb e-mail with the same phone numbers all the time -- sick , they just allow you to deposit and when you want your money back, there is a problem -> never met with problems like this on PokerStars or FullTilt
    • MikeyH
      MikeyH
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kennyxx
      Originally posted by MikeyH
      I'm running Win7RC 64b and never had problem like that. I'm using PT3.
      Odd, I may try a reinstall, I had to reinstall Win7 when I changed to a dual OS with XP, it may work differently this time. I did reinstall PartyPoker several times on the old OS install though.
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Silver
      My tip:

Don't