Preflop capping range with pocketpairs

• Remoh
      Remoh
      Bronze
      I have a little chart where it says that I can cap TT+ when it gets 3-bets.
      But now there are some situations where I don't know if I should cap with weaker pocketpairs.
      Here are two examples.

Hold'em (5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 5:heart: , 5:spade: .
      [color:#666666]1 fold[/color], [color:#CC3333]Hero raises[/color], [color:#CC3333]BU 3-bets[/color], [color:#666666]2 folds[/color], Hero ???

Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7:heart: , 7:spade: .
      [color:#CC3333]Hero raises[/color], [color:#666666]4 folds[/color], [color:#CC3333]BB 3-bets[/color], Hero ???

In both cases I'm heads up and so I think if my opponent isn't very passiv preflop, I have a little edge with my pocketpair. But the problem will come postflop playing these hands.

What would be some guidelines playing weaker pocketpairs OOP/IP preflop?
      Are there any possible charts where I can look for?

What's if I'm 3-handed? Should I only cap TT+ by default or which adjustments can I make for different opponents?
  • 3 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      both are only calls because you don't steal from early position so you should credit to the 3-bets.
      If you are on the Button you can cap hands from time to time (only against known players)

I cap hands if I have an edge over them. Use stove to find out which hands that are. I can't tell you exactly at which time you can cap because it depends on the players like you alrady said.

If a 5% pfr raises and a 10% 3-bets give both players maybe 5%pfr in stove and look with which hands you can cap. (here it is QQ+, even AKs isn't playable here but of course only with 5%, 5% ^^)

Mostly its JJ+, AKo, AKs

If the 3-bet comes from a TAG whos isolating a fish your range would be much wider. Even 99+, AQ+ is capable mostly then.

You can cap more in position than oop because you can win TT on a AJ5 flop with a bet if they all check and fold savly if there is a bet, call or bet, raise but you loose much more if you are oop and you have to bet first or even don't bet because you fear they beat you already.

Anything more you need to know?
    • Remoh
      Remoh
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot.
      One addition question ^^

Is there any rule how I can calculate the 3-bet range when I know the PFR?
      Or is this more feeling and experience than mathematic?
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      more a feeling. ;) and I think I do it go down with the stats often to much (but I guess its better this way around than 3-betting with a too often dominated hand or so)

against tags you can use the 3-betting vs orc chart but there is no capping chart (of course you can use the hand which are listed in the SHC JJ+, AKo, AKs)

If you see that the 3-betting guy doesn't care if someone raised or not you don't need to go very much down with his range.

Just go to your last session review your problemaic hands and use pokerstove to see if you were correct with your preflop action :)

Poker is often experience only which can't be written down (I hate this point from time to time ;) )