$4,96
      MP2:
      $2,35
      CO:
      $4,23
      BU:
      $6,33

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:heart: , K:heart:
      MP2 calls $0,04, MP3 folds, CO calls $0,04, BU raises to $0,24, SB folds, Hero raises to $0,76, MP2 folds, CO calls $0,72, BU raises to $2,56, Hero calls $1,80, CO folds.

Flop: ($5,94) 8:spade: , Q:diamond: , 7:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $2,82, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $8,76

should i go all in on the flop ? i see many players just shove all in on the flop with AK, but i prefer seeing the flop and playing passive if im not pre flop agressor and i dont hit. is this good thing or bad ?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Never call a 4bet with AK with 125bb effective stacks. You don't want to get into those spots where you don't flop a pair but the pot is already twice the size of your remaining stack, as there is no good line for you to take from there. If you're going to shove AK-high on the flop anyway you're better off shoving it in preflop where there are still 5 cards to come to improve instead of 2. I know it feels stupid when you don't improve and lose a stack that way, but you're bleeding a lot more money just calling preflop, considering that most of the time you won't flop a pair and you will be forced to fold unimproved on the flop.

Here BU seems aggressive enough and loose enough to also do that with AK/QQ, sometimes even worse. Even against a range of AK/QQ+ you have around 39.6% equity preflop. The dead money in the pot is already $2.34 once BU 4bets you, meaning if you consider that both your stacks are going to go in preflop you have to shove $4.24 more to win a total pot of $2.34+2*$4.24 = $10.82.

$10.82:$4.24 is around 2.55:1, making for pot odds of ~39.2%. You lack .4% equity to make that shove against that range, those are generally easily accounted for when you consider that this 36/28/3.4 guy can probably do that with worse hands sometimes. Even if it's rare, it's enough.

Keep in mind that this is very close even with 125bb stacks, so it's a nobrainer shove with 100bb stacks.

Hope it helps.