This is bugging me....

• p0rkus
      p0rkus
      Bronze
      (please don't move to FL discussion - this is basic beginner discussion)

The FL article about turn and river says to bet any made hand on the river with initiative. It also says that assuming you have no made hand you check/muck your hand.

With no initiative it says that if you had a top/over pair on the turn or flop you should cold call an eventual bet on the river.

Now this makes no sense :

Assume we have QK

flop = 5 3 Q
      Turn = 9
      River = A

if we have initiative we cannot bet on the river, and if an oponent bets we cannot call because we no longer have a made hand

if we have no intitiative coz we lost it on the turn, we can cold call an eventuall bet on the river.....

Someone explain what you should actually interpret from all this? it seems you should bet anyway on the river with initiative / call a bet from an oponent if we are cold calling with no initiative....

that article BTW is ''turn and river play'' and this regards the 4th page
  • 5 replies
    • p0rkus
      p0rkus
      Bronze
      lol ok you moved it...
    • Monkeye
      Monkeye
      Bronze
      hmm,

Who was first at turn you or the opponent? I think I would call because if you checked and he bet that means that you have no good card (usually) because checkraise is too risky here. so it is standard that he raise.

That is why I call it. (I am no SSS player)

I am basic player so I think I can't read the article (yet).
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      You can call with your pair of queens on the river.
    • p0rkus
      p0rkus
      Bronze
      When it says under no initiative ''if you had a toppair on the flop or turn that you only called you also cold call an eventuall bet on the river ''

Does that mean that if your pair is no longer top you can still call on the river?
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by p0rkus
      When it says under no initiative ''if you had a toppair on the flop or turn that you only called you also cold call an eventuall bet on the river ''

Does that mean that if your pair is no longer top you can still call on the river?
      Hello p0rkus,

Yes it means that if you just called on the flop and turn with a top pair on the flop you also call a bet on the river with it. This is due to the good pot odds. Essentially though these are rules of thumb and not rules written into stone. In order to know what to do in specific situations I would recommend reading all of the bronze & later silver articles which will give you a better picture of how to proceed on a case by case basis (and explain why you should do so).

Best regards
      SoyCD