Pot Odds and Implied Pot Odds

• michaelqian
      Hi all

Would be great if I can get some advise on this. I'm playing 1/2c NL.

Would be always be better to consider implied pot odds rather than actual pot odds? Reason is that on most drawing hands, the opponent make bets that give me negative pot odds, even with more than 8 outs. Therefore I find that if I consider pot odds, I'll be pretty much folding every drawing hand.

Especially at these micro limits, I normally just go with a rough idea and call the amount I'm comfortable with for any drawing hand. Example is pot is 10c, I have 8 outs for a straight, bet from opponent is 8c, I will call, as I'm likely to be able to make more than what's currently in the pot if I hit.

Thanks for any input
  • 1 reply
    • Volrath89
      Well, it depends. But it's usually better to play according to pot odds. Making a call with correct pot odds is a mathematically +EV move, of course if for example you get pot odds of 4.5:1 to call with your OESD, you need to extract just a little more if you hit so you can happily call with close to correct pot odds.

Sometimes you can call way less if you have reads from your opponents and/or your draw isn't obvious. For example on a 89T board if you have a JX hand, I think you don't have much implied odds, and you should only play according to pot odds in that case. It would be different if you had JQ on a 9Tx board, I'd count on more implied odds in that case.