Stack
      BB:
      $20.00
      MP2:
      $100.00
      Hero:
      $18.50

0.5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:diamond: , J:spade: . MP2 posts a blind of $1.00.
      3 folds, MP2 checks, 2 folds, Hero raises to $5.00, SB folds, BB raises to $20.00 (All-In), 2 folds.

Final Pot: $26.50

Notwithstanding the general points about steal and resteal ranges - I normally call the resteal push in this spot - here I felt villain was especially tight and that a fold was best. Any thoughts?
  • 5 replies
    • wuusaa
      wuusaa
      Bronze
      what range do you give the BB?
      he seems like a standard sss player.

so, try to answer it yourself

1) how much equity do you need to call?
      2) what range do you give the BB
      3) run your AJo against this range (Equilator)

have fun ;)
    • aboesing
      aboesing
      Bronze
      Its not a steal since there is not a openraise. So you make your AJo raise, but receive a all-in of BB. If he is a stantard SSS players, he will push with JJ+ AK, so is a easy fold.
      Running equilator, with PFR of 3,5% you have 31,42 equity, and pot equity is 13,50 to 37 = 36,4%, a little less because rake, so is fold.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Its not a steal since there is not a openraise.

I don't know if an oop blind poster stops this being a steal - effectively we are stealing with the intent to win the blinds, but we win an extra blind if we're sucessful. But it's an interesting point and might affect BB's resteal range if he thinks I'm stealing looser than normal b/cause of the extra dead money.

@wuusaa: I think I give BB a not wider range than 5% based on his rather tight 7% pfr. Against this I have not more than 35% equity so it's marginal as this is the equity I need. However, if BB is 3betting with a standard SSS range, ie. AK+, JJ+ (rather than a standard resteal range) then it's an easy fold as my equity is only 25%. So I'm interested to know whether you think it's reasonable of me to ascribe this tighter range to - a relatively unknown - opponent having these specific stats?
    • wuusaa
      wuusaa
      Bronze
      its difficult for me to put a 7/7 shorty on a range in blindstealing situations.
      I just havent played 7/7 shorties for a while :)

but... it is a blind steal, even a very profitable blindsteal because of the poster(dead money)

So i give him the standard restealing range against button: AJ,88 ? Am I correct?
      I really dont know it ^^

One other thing i want to talk about it:
      I dont like your 5bb raise.
      Mp2 is just a poster. he has a range of 100%.
      So make it yourself cheaper and raise only to 4bb in these "blind poster situations"

(I just raise to 3bb in these situations in postions, 4bb out of position)
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey Tim64,

7/7 shorty looks so straight-forward player that I would put him on JJ/AK and against this range you don't have the equity to call, but if you had his foldBB2steal would be interesting too. He could also shove AJ+/88+(SSS resteal range), but I don't find it very likely when facing a 7/7 guy and even against this range you don't have the needed equity. So, I find this hand pretty easy fold.

I do agree with wuusaa that raising 4BB in similar spots is more profitable, you can also expand your raising range then.

Regards,
      burek2000