Folding AA or KK

• ruskiyguy
      ruskiyguy
      Bronze
      So the weirdest thing happened to me today on pacific888 (full 10 people NL 10)
      I was in late middle position with AA with 2nd biggest stack on table (went from 2$ to 16.76) so I'm all happy and everything when the biggest fish on the table (UTG1) jerks all his chips in like he did every 2 or 3 hands so he pushes 12$ and change all in, so I'm thinking great i will get him and double up, so then UTG2 folds then the 2nd biggest fish on the table (UTG3) who also pushed his chips every 5 or so hands went all in with 7$ so I started getting more excited but then MP2(biggest stack with 18$) also pushes his stack.........HOLY CRAP i thought, its my turn to act there's 3 all ins and still 4 people to act, am I even 40-50% favourite here for all my chips?!! Well I also pushed it all in figured its still a good investment to quadruple 16 bucks. So everyone folds up until big blind (only 5$) who also pushes all in, Wow this is fked up ive never seen this b4 i thought...

Ok so here is the crappy part as they show cards
      UTG 1 Qs6s !!!! :f_o: :f_o:
      UTG3 77.... :f_mad: :f_mad:
      MP2 KK...
      ME AA
      Big Blind 10 10

near 60$ pot at NL 10 :f_eek:

Ok here we go, Flop goes like
      2s Kd 4s (i'm banging my keyboard at this point)
      turn 8d...... river Js

Ok so the big fish with Q 6 takes the huge pot, MP2 takes the side pot with trip K's ( he still ended up loosing half of his stack )

Well now that I think about it i'm not that pissed of but still a bit dissapointed. Good thing is I ended up taking some of the money back from him later in the session and still ended the day on the winning side.

so my question is would you fold your AA or KK when there is 3 all ins before you and still half the table to act for all of your 17$ which took like 2-3 hours from 2$.??

thoughts??
  • 39 replies
    • Computerized
      Computerized
      Bronze
      If you're really, really nitty then sure. I'd never do it though.
    • ottokatz
      ottokatz
      Bronze
      Folding AA preflop in cashgame is throwing money away ;)
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      in texas holdem, you have to put money into the pot to win the pot.

maybe you're used to playing a variant where you don't have to risk money to win
    • ruskiyguy
      ruskiyguy
      Bronze
      no I'm not a tight poker player, i would never fold AA or KK but with 3 all ins and half table to act should I be putting all my money for a 40% or so chance to win?
      I would obviously shove all in without even thinking about it if it was on any of my other 12 tables ( I play SSS)
      I guess it was my mistake to not leave table according to SSS but the table was FULL of FISH so I got greedy and stayed...
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ruskiyguy
      no I'm not a tight poker player, i would never fold AA or KK but with 3 all ins and half table to act should I be putting all my money for a 40% or so chance to win?
      I would obviously shove all in without even thinking about it if it was on any of my other 12 tables ( I play SSS)
      I guess it was my mistake to not leave table according to SSS but the table was FULL of FISH so I got greedy and stayed...
      Exactly. Now you faced a hard to decide to gamble $17, wich is too much for you to afford a loss. This was the best spot you could wait for. Any other situation you would fold because you are running with scared money, even if the situation was +EV.

"As played", just go all-in and start to pray.
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Consider this - even if someone else has the other 2 aces, you will still easily win (split) more often than you lose.

KK you can consider mucking with 3 all-ins in front, depending on how fishy / stupid they are, but AA? If I could shove AA for my entire roll in a 10 way shove, id do it. The odds are just too good. I can get another roll. Or I could 10x up :D
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
    • arthurhess
      arthurhess
      Bronze
      3-4:1 pot odds and about 40-50% chances of winning ... seems so hard to lose ur entire profit, but u have odds... idk
    • Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze

According to equilator, you have 52% chance to win preflop (might be a little off because you didn't mention all the suits of the cards).

But you only need to invest $17 to win a $60 pot.

So even though your chances of winning drop for every extra player in the pot, going allin is definitely the right move.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      lol @ folding AA. think about hands in equity and not in results so you never even think about that again.
    • ruskiyguy
      ruskiyguy
      Bronze
      Yea i understand its great investment to invest 17 into pot of 60 Im not mad at myself for gambling with 50 % or so to win. I should have just left the table according to SSS just like I always do but this was the fishiest table ive ever seen in my short 3 months of poker lol so I got greedy. It was hilarious these 2 guys just pushing all in literally every other hand lol. I got my roll up to 130$ in 4 days with the starting capital so keeping 17$ at a table makes no sense (i believe once you have 10% of your roll on one table you should leave)..

Anyway thanks for the insight everyone

Keep em coming
    • Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ruskiyguy
      Yea i understand its great investment to invest 17 into pot of 60 Im not mad at myself for gambling with 50 % or so to win.
      Investing 17 to win 60 with 52% chance to win is not gambling, that's just taking other people's money.

And even if you lost against one of the short stacks, you still have a very good chance of winning the side pot. You made the right play, even if you were sitting at that table with $50 that makes no difference.

But you're right about leaving the table sooner, if you decide to play SSS you have to play by the rules.
    • FaulBreitner
      FaulBreitner
      Bronze
      teh fuck u fold aces
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      DONT EVER THINK OF FOLDING IN CASH

if its tourney then i would still have called anyway since you were third to enter, but if u see 3 ppl shoving in front of u then i would fold aces

as explained by others, theres nothing wrong with losing 17$ if you could triple up (happened to me a lot last time when I played SSS and the feeling was great)

as long as you dont spew (what you did was merely common sense and not spewy play), waiting to blind out after you double up is perfectly alright
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      if its tourney then i would still have called anyway since you were third to enter, but if u see 3 ppl shoving in front of u then i would fold aces
      on tourney also instant call, unless it's a late stage of a satelitte.

• Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Never fold it.... don't be results orientated.
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      I might fold AA preflop If I knew my opponent had AAs.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      what has bigger equity in a 9way pot, AA or 98s?
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Depends on opponent's cards, but AA wins most of the time.