Giving FL a try

• NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      OK, so I have decided to take a short break from SNGs and for some variety I am going to give FL a crack... I do not know what will come of this, but I am willing to learn... For the most part I know very little about FL... I will be reading all the articles shortly and posting hands... but I have a few questions.

As a fairly experienced poker player what is a good limit to start learning on? My total bankroll is about $2.5K but I wanna start lower... say like $400-$500 maybe for FL... where should I start??

The articles talk about 300BB BRM, but what do you use for the higher limits/multitabling etc?

Stupid question, but how many BB do you normally buy-in for? (that`s how little I know)

Any other advice would be well appreciated...

Thanks,

Nick
  • 9 replies
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Welcome in!

Last question first...

The maximum that can go into the pot from a player capping pre flop and every street is 12BB (NOTE: big bets, not big blinds)... so conventional wisdom is to buy in for 24BB and top up when you drop below 12BB. From a practical perspective 25 to 50BB is a pretty standard buy in for a table. The 50BB buy in is used by folks not wanting to have to re-buy often.

As for starting limits, a couple of options (NOTE: conventional BRM is 300BB for FR and 500BB for SH eg $500 is minimum BR for playing $.50/$1):

1. You could try to really ease your way in playing in uber fishy FR limits to start with and to get a feel for the game - say $.25/$.50.

2. Given you'll get to grips with FR pretty quickly you could always just test the waters playing SH at $.25/$.50.

3. Rip straight into $.50/$1 SH with a $500 BR.

My opinion? I'd start with option 1. Why? Well, it gives you a low variance intro to the game and gives you a nice slow way of getting used to playing standard lines and working on hand reading skills.

Once you've got a basic handle on what you're doing and have had an opportunity of posting a few hands and getting through a few of the silver articles, then you can pretty quickly progress to $.25/$.50 SH to get a feel for the SH game. This gives you exposure to the much more "swingy" SH game at a relatively low impact limit.

Then move up as and when you feel comfortable.

I like this progression as you can use it as fast or slow as you feel comfortable - be it 1k hands or 10k hands. And always remember there is A LOT of variance at FL SH so be prepared for that (both +ve and -ve) - but as a blog follower you have no doubt seen the swings in action!

GL!:s_cool:
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Run and don't look back!
    • zivkoleo
      zivkoleo
      Bronze
      Hey corey so you're still cruising through this forum. I thought you long gone.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Yeah, I'm still browsing... And I didn't go broke yet.
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      OK...

So I played and studied today... Now the next thing I'd like to know is what do these things mean?

What should I be looking at? What is important in analysing these graphs?

Aaaaaand...

What do these values mean? tell us? what's good? what's not?

Thanks,

Nick
    • DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      are you playing full ring or 6max?

If 6max, this is a great thread to find information:
      http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/22/small-stakes-shorthanded/official-ssshlhe-stats-thread-329049/
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Playing FR atm...
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey Nick

The stats outside of VPIP and PFR are pretty meaningless under around 10k hands. From memory a 15/10 VPIP/PFR stat is normal, the rest needs time.

As for the graph, the only thing that's relevant or useful there AFAIK is whether it finishes above the $0 line or not. And that needs at least 10k hands as well.

Someone else may have something slightly more useful to add... lets hope so.. :f_rolleyes:
    • DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      if you have a good sample size, you can use the red and blue line to see if you're running good or not at short term.

for example my blue line is climbing steadily after 100k hands. If I'm playing 5000 hands and in this interval the blue line is horizontal or even going down, I know I'm just running crap and my skill is not to blame.