The worst losing streak ive ever had

• thegrouse
      thegrouse
      Bronze
      Ive been grinding away in 0.25/0.50 cash games for the last 3 weeks and was doing well. I went from 7 buyins to 15 but over the last week i have been enduring the worst downswing ive ever experienced - losing session after losing session. I'm down to a little over 3 buyins and i'm feeling pretty crappy. I was hoping to get some stories of other people's worst downswings to make me feel better :)

thanks in advance.
  • 26 replies
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      it happens and it sucks. right now im on my way back up after a 10BI swing on NL10.. the most important thing is to keep learning and coaching your play. if you are constantly getting ur money in the pot with the best of it. you will come out of it :)
    • sm112
      sm112
      Black
      Last 2 weeks (40k hands) I'm 50 buy-ins below all-in EV (NL100 SSS, 50 short stacks = 1000$)
    • RavForenzo
      RavForenzo
      Bronze
      im not being funny, but why did you start at NL50 with 7 buy ins?? lol that is asking for trouble right there. You are so restricted, you can't play your best poker. Can't make the right raises, the right calls for fear of losing it all. Drop down a couple of levels and play with more freedom, and I seriously reckon you'll find the downswing stops if you are playing right. Ive just moved to BSS NL10 after getting my roll upto about $400, and the freedom 40BI's gives you is great.
    • BogdanDin7
      BogdanDin7
      Bronze
      7 buyins for a limit is not a BRM. I think something like 20BI for FR / 30BI for SH is the most aggresive BR that is still good. I used to play with an agressive BRM of 16 BI move up / 22 for lower limit move down , but variance was SUCH A BITCH that I`m now following a very nitty BRM , currently 50BI for NL50 but still grinding NL25 until I get 60 BI for NL50. This way variance is so much easier to handle.
    • whateverdude
      whateverdude
      Bronze
      11 times KK vs AA in the span of 3 hours of 4tabling. Lost all 11 of them ofcourse. During those same 3 hours I also lost with AA vs QQ once. Playing fullring BSS that is. 0.25/0.50
    • thegrouse
      thegrouse
      Bronze
      That's gotta be some kind of a record running into AA with KK 11 times in 3 hours. That could be comical if it didn't suck so bad
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by thegrouse
      I'm down to a little over 3 buyins and i'm feeling pretty crappy. I was hoping to get some stories of other people's worst downswings to make me feel better :)

thanks in advance.
      - 20% VERY healthy bankroll in 3.5 hours

- b/e day

- 15% of still healthy bankroll in 3 hours

nice 3 simple days in row ^^
    • thegrouse
      thegrouse
      Bronze
      just a quick update:

I think im on the road to recovery now (*touches wood*).

Things finally turned around right when i was at breaking point.

After my bankroll had been decimated i finally snapped and did the big no-no of moving up limits instead of down. i had been playing 0.25/0.50 and had downswung from 700 to 150. I was tilting pretty bad so i bought into a 0.50/1 (this is the limit i am best at and was working towards (i used to have a healthy bankroll for this limit back in my FullTilt days but donked it all during the 09 FTOPS)) game for the full amount and stuck the rest in a 1/2.

On the NL 100 game i was down 20 bucks at the end of the session but the 1/2 was a different story. I hit an amazing run of hands and got action every time. I started with 40 and finshed the session with about 250. Im in a better mood and have decided that although its risky, i am going to take my 3 and a half buyins and stick with the 0.50/1 and see if i can build a healthy bankroll from there.

WARNING: please do not try to imitate anything you have read in the above post as it will probably result in going bust. I was just being a donk who got lucky xD

Anyway, good luck with your downswings, present anf future and know that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel-just play well, disciplined and patiently.

wow, that wasnt as quick an update as the opening statement would have you believe :D
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Im in a better mood and have decided that although its risky, i am going to take my 3 and a half buyins and stick with the 0.50/1 and see if i can build a healthy bankroll from there.
      too bad I'm not able to add pool to this thread...

What will happen sooner?
      a) opal's Aces will run into rivered 2outer set
      b) thegrouse will be busted
      c) it's too late to vote, 3.5 BI are already lost

which one ?(
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      pretty funny thread
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      What will happen sooner?
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      I think it's kinda funny that I follow this tight BRM and nevertheless fall from $800 to $350 on NL100 sss in the space of two weeks, and get ready to move down to NL50 whereas thegrouse just says 'what the hell', moves up to NL200 and makes $200 just like that.

Good luck, mate. We have a new definition for 'gambling' :D
    • thegrouse
      thegrouse
      Bronze
      Hey opal, ive not busted out yet - how are your aces doing?

thanks for the luck Tim, ill probably need it.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      well so far; thanks for asking :)

you should //maybe// consider some kind of BRM imo... just an idea..
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      i think it's okay to have an aggressive BRM. 10BIs for NL10-50 is enough if you assume that you can beat that limit very confidently. as you move up and your possible edge gets smaller you need to be more conservative.

edit1: (this is for deep stack play, dunno about SSS)

edit2: this of course means that you're taking a slightly bigger risk - you're somewhat more likely to go "broke" (even if you do end up losing 10 stacks on NL25.. not saying that you won't feel like crap, but it won't actually ruin you financially)
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      yea, maybe.. but:

Im in a better mood and have decided that although its risky, i am going to take my 3 and a half buyins and stick with the 0.50/1 and see if i can build a healthy bankroll from there.
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      Originally posted by opal99
      yea, maybe.. but:

even then there's still like a 70% chance that he won't go broke if he's an ok winning player
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Originally posted by opal99
      too bad I'm not able to add pool to this thread...

What will happen sooner?
      b) thegrouse will be busted
      c) it's too late to vote, 3.5 BI are already lost

which one ?(
      D) All of the above.
    • thegrouse
      thegrouse
      Bronze
      my biggest weakness is BRM. I have a tendency to stick to a certain BRM strategy then randomly have moments where i need to step beyond the limits i can afford. Usually i'll end up in some tournament beyond my BR - like the other weekend i had about 390 bucks in my PStars accout and i had been playing sit goes around the $10 buyin level. I had stuck to this limt for a while then randomly i just down to play cards and felt like i needed to play one of the sunday majors. So i entered into a couple of affordable satelites and failed to win entry then decided that i didnt want to have spent that money without getting to play the actual tournament. Basically, i wasn t to be denied my seat and played a few $80 hyper turbo satelites (which i advise everyone to avoid if u are any good at poker, they are pot luck) and these failed. In the end i got my seat in the Sunday Warm-up via a $23 STT but collectively, the seat cost me about $320 in sattelite fees (Sunday Warmup normal buyin is $215). So i spent my entire BR getting into the Warm-up and didnt make the money.

I think i have a compulsive gambler streak which pops to the surface every now and then. The same thing happened during the FTOPS 09. I decimated my BR during that too (a much healthier BR than 390 i might add).

-i also have this all-or-nothing complex which usually kicks in at the tail end of a losing streak.

wow, just looking back over what ive written it seems i may be destined for serious debt and GA meetings xD

any tips on controlling these urges?