Stack
      SB:
      $21,40
      MP3:
      $34,10
      Hero:
      $23,30

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.62 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with K:diamond: , A:heart:
      MP3 raises to $1,00, CO folds, Hero calls $1,00, SB calls $0,90, BB folds.

Flop: ($3,25) A:club: , 8:spade: , 6:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, MP3 bets $2,00, Hero calls $2,00, SB folds.

Turn: ($7,25) 5:club: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $5,25, Hero calls $5,25.

River: ($17,75) Q:heart: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $10,00, Hero calls $10,00.

Final Pot: $37,75

I call preflop bc villian was nitty and I knew that if he 4bets me I will fold so I decided to call, ok? postflop?
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Rebuy to 100bb preflop, you want to maximize your gains when you have an edge.

Calling preflop against a nit is fine as long as you know why you're doing it, although i think that guy isn't tight enough to be called a nit after 26 hands, he can still be a regular tag with 18/16 stats, probably a decent player given his stack and the fact he only opened with raises so far.

The fact that he will only 4bet better hands than yours allows you to play perfectly against him after a 3bet : either he 4bets and you make a good fold, and he folds and you pick up the pot right there more often then not, since he's probably opening something like 9% from UTG and will fold everything but the top 3% when you 3bet. You can't justify calling just by being afraid of his 4betting range. You're mostly looking to keep dominated hands in the pot in case you flop a top pair when you flatcall preflop.

Which is what happens here, so you have to call both flop and turn at least. The river is probably the worst card for you since AQ beats you now, and AQ is a decent part of his range for betting the turn that strong, together will some AJ, maybe other big pocket pairs if he feels like it, a picked up club draw, and the occasional sets.

I don't think he would bet the river for value without having AK beat tho, and even tho your hand is somewhat face up, people rarely fire 3 barrels with air at these stakes because they don't expect you to fold TPTK. So i think i can find a fold on that exact river even for that price (it looks more like a "please call me" valuebet than a bluff), but i would call that bet on any non-Q river, even clubs.

Hope it helps.
    • Macias09
      Macias09
      Bronze
      so if i'm SURE he will 4bet with better I should 3bet anyway because "The fact that he will only 4bet better hands than yours allows you to play perfectly against him" ? How this applieys to this "Calling preflop against a nit is fine as long as you know why you're doing it"?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

What i meant was that you can play it both ways, you're just looking for different things.

If you 3bet without history, you're looking to pick up the pot right there (he still opens enough hands for him to have to fold often to a 3bet) and fold to a 4bet because you think he isn't loose enough to do that what anything other than QQ+/AK. You mostly make money preflop.

If you just call, you're looking to keep dominated AJ/AQ in the pot and let him valuetown himself postflop when you both hit a top pair. You make the bulk of your money postflop.

Hope it helps.