[NL2-NL10] NL10 AQo in unraised pot

• lessthanthreee
      villain is 27/3 AF: 2.0 after 100 hands

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (BB) ($10.77)
      UTG ($7.31)
      UTG+1 ($9.11)
      MP1 ($4.34)
      MP2 ($10)
      CO ($2)
      Button ($8.26)
      SB ($2.80)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, Q
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.10, MP1 calls $0.10, MP2 calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.45) 10, Q, 9 (4 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, UTG+1 calls $0.40, MP1 calls $0.40, 1 fold

Turn: ($1.65) 7 (3 players)
      Hero bets $1, 1 fold, MP1 calls $1

River: ($3.65) 10 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.90, MP1 raises to $2.84 (All-In), Hero calls $0.94

Total pot: $9.33 | Rake: $0.62

think i played this one pretty badly... any advice?

maybe i should have check called a small bet on the river.
  • 3 replies
    • Mstlc
      Pre-flop: Raise! Raise it up to $0.70.

Post-flop: If you raise pre-flop and you still get called there you're gonna be able to shove the turn which then doesn't require you to make a though decision on the river.

As played - the river: The pot is $3.65. He's got $2.84 behind, which is a pretty much perfect amount to shove if you check it to him on the river. It doesn't matter if you bet/call or check/call. He's always gonna go all-in except if he's really really really bad.

In all honesty I'd probably just check/fold the turn. These guys can have such a wide range of hands since you didn't raise pre-flop that I wouldn't be happy at all to bet pot on this flop with TPTK to then get called by 2 villains...
    • lessthanthreee
      thanks for your advice, it makes a lot more sense to take the lead pre flop than to play it the way i did.

i ended up getting sucked out on the river i was ahead of his JT til then :(
    • MaestroOfZerg

Playing it like you did isn't that bad either, but you shouldn't bet the river, the board is way too ugly by then for a pot that started 4-way, not many worse hands will call you on 3 streets, i would just check/fold it. It does make a difference whether you bet/call or check/call, he might behind worse hands that he wouldn't fold if you check, and he will always bet better hands so you'll mostly get valuetowned when you call.

Raising it preflop against bad players has its advantages, as Mstlc outlined. 8-handed with 3 limpers two of them being bad players, chances are you can pickup the pot right now or get into a much bigger pot with a hand that is ahead of their limp/calling range. Since their stacks are rather small, the disadvantage of position will be reduced because the hand will likely play out in two streets.

Hope it helps.