Dealt to Hero T:diamond: Q:diamond:

fold, BTN raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1.25, fold

FLOP ($3.50) 6:diamond: 5:diamond: K:spade:

Hero checks, BTN checks

TURN ($3.50) 6:diamond: 5:diamond: K:spade: 5:club:

Hero checks, BTN checks

RIVER ($3.50) 6:diamond: 5:diamond: K:spade: 5:club: 4:diamond:

Hero bets $2, BTN raises to $12, Hero ?

wat i thought in that instance was... does he actually have 44? FML.
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I think that call is rather loose out of position, especially because BU's range is virtually anything there, so you don't really have implied odds and it's going to be tough to put him on a range. I'd usually just 3 bet or fold that hand, especially if BB is a tag too, as he will often go ahead and squeeze in that spot, forcing us to fold.

As played, BU is a tag so he will often make a c-bet here, i'd check/raise that flop to get his c-bet and use fold equity to take down the pot when he has nothing. As played he doesn't oblige, which is somewhat strange, i expect him to bet his air, his draws and his strong hands alike in this spot (the board is somewhat drawy, even with a set here can't be happy about slowplaying). Him checking without history usually means he has something marginal that he doesn't want to get check/raised off, or he decided slowplaying was worth the risk.

As played on the turn i might lead, planning to fire again on some rivers even when i miss, since he defined his range as somewhat weak and probably can't stand that pressure. If he raised i'd put him on 5x (checked behind the flop with marginal showdown value then improved) or some weirdly slowplayed stuff and give it up. If you don't feel comfortable with that checking is fine too, as his line is suspicious, however when you flat such hands preflop you have to try and take down pots even when you miss, or you'll end up leaking a lot of money.

As played on the river it's obviously ugly, and i would have expected him to c-bet the flop with any air hand, so he shouldn't have anything worth bluffing with in that spot. A flush is also unlikely, as i don't see why he wouldn't bet a flushdraw on the flop or even the turn after you checked twice. So either he slowplayed something big from the start or he boated up on the river with 44/54.

When people bet (or raise) big on the river at these stakes it's usually strength anyway and he played it slow the whole way, which is suspicious from that kind of player. Since the pot is small, i'd just give it up.

Hope it helps.
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      pf: call is good, u are superior postflop to avg plrs at these lims, u dont have to be scared at all

turn: lead out is standard ofc and easy to play

river: easy call.. str8s, bluffs, 5x, lower flushes, u cant even think of folding here,he s just repping a strength, almost never has it, esp vs his sd, which even from the small samplisize suggests he likes to move it move postflop and doesnt give up easily.. range u re behind vs and was played like this is extreeeeeemly narrow, exactly 44 prolly only