[NL20-NL50] NL50SH AKs

• silent21
      silent21
      Global
      i had some crash in the pokersoftware and obviously this hand somehow disappeared so i will try to explain it.

UTG - mid stack fish limps
      me(CO) raises to 4BB with AKs
      SB - ultra TAG player 22/18 for 500hands, playing veeeery solid - calls

flop AQc2c

SB - checks
      UTG donks 2$
      I raise to 8
      SB raise to 25
      UTG folds

me?

solid TAG calls OOP... I tend to play the same stlye and i am calling OP only with PP or rarely when i want to trap some bad player. i havent seen this guy doing some bluffs or fancy plays so the range i can give him is only 22. With AK he would 3bet me PF. AQ - most probably he would 3bet with it also but if he decides to just call i am still behind. AJ - i can hardly find AJ in his range for raising. Is it possible for him to raise with draw? I think that solid tags are playing draws mostly IP or if they have some good connectors they 3bet. please share ur thoughts

In this spot i cannot call. If i call the pot will be 60 and i got only 30 left so the options are shoving or folding. btw we are little deep - - 130bb.
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

SB has to be aware that your range for isolating that fish is wide unless your image is very tight, i expect him to mostly 3bet you with AJ+ because you'll fold often. So when he calls preflop it's usually because he wants to trap the fish in the pot, whether because he has a very good hand like KK+ or some hand that plays very well multiway like JTs or a small pocket pair.

On the flop depending on his read of the fish's donkbet and your reaction to it (most tags automatically raise donkbets from fishes on the flop), he MIGHT 3bet bluff if he thinks the fish will fold, knowing that you'll interpret that as extreme strength for him to be 3-betting into the fish and committing himself in the process.

He might also do that with a semibluff, figuring he'll get you to fold almost anything because it looks super strong, and he doesn't mind flipping with the halfstack fish.

Not sure he would do that with a set tho, it's the best way to blow you both out of the pot, i'm not sure the lone flushdraw on board warrants it (you don't have a flushdraw that often and he can never fold against the halfstacked fish anyway). Still it's possible since he's out of position, as bloating the pot on later streets if he just called the flop would require donking into you.

Let's just forget about pure bluffing, as you won't find many tags willing to do it at these stakes, if he is good for him. Either he's semibluffing with something like JcTc, or you're stone cold dead. Even if he somehow has AK too, you're calling off your whole stack for a chop.

Without further reads, I think i would pass on that one against a "veeeeery solid" tag and fold. If i somehow suspect he's good/fancy enough to try something in that spot, i don't mind calling it off either.

Hope it helps.
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      tamairlarace, thanks for the comments, really helped.

i am kinda tight tag player 18/15, just my 3bet is high ~10%. before evaluating villain play i always take into consideration that in the eyes of villain i am tight tag player and i either try to exploit this or if they show strength i fold mediocre hands. well here i called and he had 22 but generally i am supposed to fold in this spot on this limit. thz

on the other side do u think i can call the fish donkbet and wait for tag to react. such player wouldl either raise or fold in this spot i think. if he folds i can happily shove against the fish then.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

It's complicated, because if you just call the fish's donkbet you will signal massive weakness, giving even more incentive to a good tag to try and make a move on you in that spot, this time for a non-committing amount. Which means when he raises you aren't so sure he's doing that with something very strong anymore, so you're left guessing even if the fish folds to the raise. If the fish calls the raise it's probably even harder, as there is more money in the pot for you to fight for.

Not to mention if the tag has a draw, he can also overcall with direct odds if he feels like it, and if he folds, you may have played right into the hands of the fish by only calling his donkbet.

Hope it helps.