ICM play in $5 and $10 sngs

• mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Hi all!

I've got a stable but slow growth on $5 sngs. In late phase I get a feel for a tournament and then slightly adjust my pushing and calling ranges. Playing according to ICM most of the time, but sometimes playing much tighter. When I built up to $500 and moved to $10, I first got very happy that fish is only slightly more clever but their mistakes cost them more, but then I lost about 14 sngs in a row. I do realise that i had bad luck (losing 6 sngs on AA, KK, QQ in a row) and then slightly tilted and had more bad luck, but I'm just wondering whether my initial play was bad too.

Would you suggest to play as close to ICM trainer as possible, or should I significantly adjust my strategy awai from ICM for $10 due to loose fishies?
  • 7 replies
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      when you loosing AA,KK,QQ ... preflop on late sng ...there is anything you can do... you play well you just got unlucky ... in long run you will make profit... and 10$ are pretty soft
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Yeah, i know that i got unlucky. What i meant was that say I push Tx from SB if underdog in late phase according to ICM. But fish would be calling very loose and i'm likely to get screwed =(
    • ladman
      ladman
      Bronze
      then you are spot on to tighten your range to sustain your position in the sng
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      if you are looking to improve your game use sng wizzard and adjust your game according to your opponent's range.
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      How good is sng wiz? is it worth its 55 quid?
      I judt got a good boost to my BR and i'm cashing a lot of it out, so i can afford the wizard=)

What can you do with it anyway?

Still have about 1.5 months before my PT3 runs out=)
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mChavez
      Would you suggest to play as close to ICM trainer as possible, or should I significantly adjust my strategy awai from ICM for $10 due to loose fishies?
      Independant chip model is basicly only a function which assigns a certain chip stack in a given situation its value in $. Hence you shouldn't play against ICM.

This model is then used to calculate the equilibrium ranges of hands which should be pushed and called in a given situation (it's Nash equilibrium from game theory).

What you probably ment by your question is whether to adjust your ranges to violate the equilibrium. Here the answer is yes, if you are confident about the villains range. I'm not a big fan of pushing tighter though, as the opponents at $10 buy-in are usually calling too tight and not loose (the exception seems to be Ongame to me so far, where calling ranges are anything with a face card or suited for some reason xD ; on Stars and FTP people are pretty tight callling).
    • steIIstuI
      steIIstuI
      Bronze
      SnG wizard would help you a lot here. You must adjust to your table image and depending on your opponents you push/fold your hands.

x% of the time he has a bad hand and doesn't call you
      y% of the time he has a bad hand, calls you and wins
      z% of the time he has a bad hand , calls you and loses and so on. X' Y' Z'

It is profitable if you think x is the highest between them. so with a loose opponent x is still higher since I don't think he would call with more than 40 - 45 % of the hands, but still it's like a flip if he's calling or not.