[NL20-NL50] nl50 SH KK on paired board

• Washdogg
      Known players:

0.1/0.2 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with K:diamond: , K:club:
      CO folds, Hero raises to $0.80, SB calls $0.70, BB folds.

Flop: ($1.80) 9:club: , 7:club: , 7:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.00, SB calls $1.00.

Turn: ($3.80) 2:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.00, SB raises to $4.00, Hero calls $2.00.

River: ($11.80) 3:club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $11.80

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two pairs, kings and sevens (Kd Kc)
      SB shows two pairs, nines and sevens (9h 6h)

Hero wins with two pairs, kings and sevens (Kd Kc)

I think the flop bet was pretty standard, getting minraised on the turn usually means I'm in trouble so I call for pot control and check behind on the river after the flush draw completes. Is this a good line here or was there a better one and why?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

I'd probably bet more like $1.2 on the flop, even tho it's a paired board it's still somewhat drawy, especially against an unknown you should tend to bet more for value.

As played the turn minraise is pretty polarized between some 99/7x and air, as i expect him to 3bet you with TT+ preflop. I don't usually see people play c/c c/mr with a draw on a paired board, although sometimes they do with a good top pair. I think 3betting small might have merit against a guy that seems aggressive, as he might talk himself into 4bet-shoving as a bluff sometimes. The usual approach is to play way ahead way behind and call his minraise in position.

On the river i'm not really afraid of the flush and i would likely call a moderate bet even on a club. When he checks he will seldom call a bet given his range, so you would only be targeting the occasional top pair. I wouldn't mind going for a small value bet around $6, but it's going to be somewhat tough if you get raised. Still since i expect him to lead into you with his strong hands, so i think it's worth trying.

Hope it helps.